VIII

Grian

Where did they go?
Zombies fill the base, searching for them. They forgot about me, and I'm going to be discovered.

Hiding behind a tree, I take deep breaths as Joel comes very close to me. He turns slightly and I know he's noticed me.
"I found Grian!" he says. I run.

There is nowhere to go, though. I run forward and Gem holds her sword against me, I run backwards and Joel has a bucket of lava. I run sideways and Scar is holding his bow. I'm surrounded. This is the end. Well, I'm about to join the zombie world and I am not looking forward to it.

Gem is just about to strike when she falls to the ground and a hand pulls me over her body and away from the circle of zombies. The person flings me over the wall and I start rolling down the hill. My back hurts like hell but I don't notice. My only thought is: Who did that?

I hit a tree stump and I stay lying on the grass. I don't think I'm strong enough to pull myself up. Someone runs down the hill and stands over me and I brace my arms in front of my face in case it is a zombie.
"It's just me." Martyn says.

Scott

"We have to go back!" BigB says for the seventeenth time.
"There's no point going back to find that Grian is a zombie," Tango argues. All that's on my mind is the fact that I left Martyn in my base. He trusted me to keep him safe but now he's probably dead.

I remember what happened with Lizzie. A lightning strike signalled her final death. The same happened with Jimmy and Mumbo. I haven't heard any lightning strikes yet, so Martyn must be alright, somehow.

"We're not getting split up again," Cleo says, "Last time, Scar and Joel split up from us and it resulted in Scar and Etho's deaths."
I'm listening to the conversation while focusing on mining a tunnel for all of our safety. I hit dirt and I bring out my shovel and break through it. Light fills the tunnel and I run out.

"I think we should leave it to a vote," Cleo says, still in the tunnel, "All in favour of going back for Grian, please raise your hand,"
Skizz and BigB raise their hand.
"All in favour of going without Grian and accepting that he's likely a zombie, please raise your hand,"
Cleo and Tango raise their hand.
"Scott," says Cleo, "You haven't voted,"
"I know," I say, "I want to go back for Martyn."

Martyn

"Why on earth did you save me?" Grian demands, backing away. I helped him up after he crashing into that tree stump and now he's standing in front of me angrily.
"I didn't want you to be a zombie." I say, and he quickly replies:
"Because you wanted less zombies available to kill you?"
"Yes, but also because if we're going to have any chance of killing the zombies, we need more people to do it,"

"Who's 'we'?" Grian asks. Great. Then I realise. At first I thought I was neutral but now I'm on the human side.
"You, me, Cleo, Skizz, Tango, Scott and BigB,"
"Who said you were a part of our team?" Grian is still mad at me, for some reason. I suddenly realise: I hold all the cards. I can kill him but he won't kill me.
"Look, I saved your life. You would've died before and I feel like you're under the impression that that was better than being saved by me.  I could kill you right now if I wanted to and then you'd be like me. A last life."
Grian looks a little startled and then hisses:
"You're a mad last life. Of course you're about to kill me,"
"Let me help you, and I won't have to."

Tango

"Why do you want to go back for Martyn?"
"Of all people!"
"Scott there were two options! A last life wasn't part of those!"

I can tell Scott wants to say something so I yell:
"Scott, can you explain yourself?"

Scott begins:
"Basically, Martyn arrived at my base about 30 minutes before you did. He sat in the opposite corner and just stayed still until you arrived when he climbed over the wall and I began digging a tunnel."
Well that sounds a lot more simple than it probably was for Martyn.

"But now they have probably found Grian, Martyn is unsafe and a lightning bolt hasn't gone through the sky yet so I'd assume he's alive but I'm not sure how safe he is."
"Why do you care?" Cleo asks.
"He killed me when I asked him to. Also because he thinks he's an outcast and I feel bad for him."
"So what?" Cleo is so persistant about this, "He is an outcast."
Soon, Scott's sword is in my hand and he takes a wild swing at Cleo.
"Woah woah! Scott! Violence!" I restrain Scott and Skizz helps me.
"You messed with the wrong person." Cleo stares at him and pulls out her flint and steel. She picks up a stick and lights it ablaze before throwing it onto a pile of leaves on the floor. It immediately lights on fire.

BigB immediately restrains Cleo but she pushes him out the way and watches as the leaves set a tree on fire, and another tree until almost all of the trees in the forest are burning. She smiles and walks off.
I let go of Scott and he storms off in the opposite direction.
I watch BigB and Skizz follow Scott and I choose to follow Cleo.

The worst has happened: We have split up.