VI

Grian

Getting into the helter skelter is quite simple, now that the zombies are gone. What I wasn't ready for was to see Martyn there as well as Joel.

"Why is he here?" I demand,
"Why do you hate him?" Joel asks, calmly.
"Because he's a mad last life."
"No I'm not!" Martyn says, indignantly, "Last life, yes. Mad, no."

"Well he's not coming with us," I say, "I don't trust him. Come on, Joel,"
"No, he's coming with us." Joel immediately shoots back.
"I don't like last lives in our house!"
"So we've come here to rescue you and you want to take Martyn with you?" Cleo adds, and I can tell she's on my side.
"Yeah, Etho is probably infected because of you," I say,
"Etho's gone?" Joel chokes out the two words.
"Etho is gone. Maybe. Probably."
Joel recollects himself and says:
"Well I'm not going unless Martyn comes with us. I'm pretty sure the zombies heard what he revealed to me and I don't want him to die because of it."
"What did you reveal?" Cleo asks Martyn.
"Unimportant," I interrupt, "We're all about to die if none of us move right now and I don't particularly want to die.
"Joel, it's your choice: Come with us or stay and die."

"I'm staying here."
"Suit yourself." Cleo says and walks out the door. I silently follow behind. I know Joel has made a big mistake but maybe it's for the better.

Martyn

"Why did you stay with me?" is the first question I ask when Grian and Cleo leave the house.
"You don't deserve to be treated like this. Plus I don't want you to die just so we have more people to beat the apocalypse."
"Fair enough."

"We do need sleep," I say after a few minutes.
"Yeah," Joel says, "I'll keep watch and you can sleep for a few hours and then we switch?"
"Okay,"
I fall asleep almost immediately.

"Wake up, it's been about 6 hours. I'll sleep until sunrise, okay?"
"Alright."
I use the time to craft some golden apples. The hours are filled with paranoia that I'm going to suddenly be attacked by the zombies, but they never come, so I wake Joel up at sunrise and we leave the helter skelter in search for other people to fight the apocalypse with.

We arrived at the burnt heart to see that Tango, BigB and Skizz are all there, except they're all sleeping on the leaves on the floor.
"I feel bad waking them," Joel says,
"We might have to, else they'll be defenseless if the zombies come,"
We walk around the sleeping bodies on the floor and then start tapping their heads. Tango wakes up first, confused, followed by BigB.
"Skizz isn't waking up," Joel says, practically whacking his head.
"He might've passed out because of what you did," Tango turns on me, "Why are you here?"
Before I can answer, Skizz sits up and yawns. At one sight of me, he rushes to his feet and hides behind Joel.

"It's alright," Joel says, "He has no intention of attacking you,"
"Yeah," I say, my voice shaking a little, "If you don't believe me then take these." I pick up 9 golden apples out of my pocket and pass 3 to each person.
"What are these? Poisoned apples?" BigB stares at me,
"No! Just golden apples!" I exclaim. How do they still hate me? Joel changed quickly, why can't they?
"Are you sure?" Tango asks.
"I promise you they are," Joel says.
"Alright," BigB says, stepping back and relaxing, "So is there any other reason you want to wake us?"

"Well," Joel begins, "There's a zombie apocalypse happening, like right now,"
"Really?" Skizz exclaims, "What's happening?"
The others look intrigued, so I continue.
"Gem, Impulse, Bdubs, Pearl and Scar are zombies and we think Etho is as well,"
"Why are we panicking? I thought zombies were stupid,"
"Well they're not." Joel says, "Gem's zombie form can talk and they're all wearing armour. I don't think we can kill them,"
"Wouldn't we need some sort of antidote then?" BigB asks,
"Yeah, and the only books that have that in it would be Grian's base. Etho has a lot of books," Skizz adds,
"Shouldn't we go there then?" Tango requests.
"Yeah," Joel says, "But there's only one issue,"
"And that is?" Tango asks,
"Grian hates me." I say.