xxxv. to live for the hope of it all

✧˚ ༘ ⋆。♡˚

That afternoon was one of the happiest Cassie had ever spent at camp, which maybe goes to show, one never knows when your world is about to be rocked to pieces.

Grover announced that he'd be able to spend the rest of the summer with them before resuming his quest for Pan. His bosses at the Council of Cloven Elders were so impressed that he hadn't gotten himself killed and had cleared the way for future searchers, that they granted him a two-month fur-lough and a new set of reed pipes.

The only bad news: Grover insisted on playing those pipes all afternoon long, and his musical skills hadn't improved much. He played "mirrorball," and the strawberry plants started sleepy, swaying slowly, making them trip.

Later on during archery class, Chiron pulled Cassie aside and apologised for making Annabeth promise to do what was 'right.' And Percy told Cassie his troubles with school were fixed, Cassie smiled and hugged him. That earned her some teasing smooches from the Stoll twins.

She had also found out Tyson had earned an internship with Poseidon, at the forges.

After a particularly hard session of sword training, she went to the showers, it was after dinner and the showers were empty.

When she looked at herself in the mirror she screamed, it want because she was amazingly beautiful (she was) but because there was a glow on top and a shiny symbol on top of her head. She had been claimed.

There was knocking in the door "Cassie are you okay?" Shit, it was Travis

"Yeah! Everything is fine!"

"But you screamed."

She said the first thing that crossed her mind "I'm bleeding"

"What?!"

"Don't worry! It's natural!"

"I'm getting Chiron"

"Don't! It's a period!"

Silence, absolute silence "What is that?"

She groaned "It's... something very uncomfortable to explain"

"Okay! I'll ask Chiron!"

"Travis?" No answer.

She groaned again, this was going to be a long rest of the day. There was knocking in the door and the symbol on top of her head hadn't faded.

"Cassiopeia?" It was Chiron

No no no "I'm fine!"

"I brought pads!"

"I'm here too!" It was Travis "I'm sorry you have to go through that!"

She wanted to die, if monsters didn't do it she would. "I'm fine!"

There was intense banging in the door, it was Ethan. "Quick! It's the tree-"

Cassie saw the symbol was fading and run out, Ethan hot on her trail.

Cass ran outside and raced across the central yard, Percy and Grover were already there, Percy unconsciously sent Ethan a dirty look, when he saw Cassie and him close.

Cassie looked at Percy, both confused about what was happening.

"Do you know what happened?" She whispered.

"Nope."

Dawn was just breaking, but the whole camp seemed to be stirring. Word was spreading.

Something huge had happened. A few campers were already making their way toward the hill, satyrs and nymphs and heroes in a weird mix of armor and pajamas.