xvii. they strike to kill

ANNABETH HAD EXPLAINED to Cassie everything that had happened with Thalia's tree. And the fact she had been bit in the leg by a hellhound on her way to New York City.

Annabeth also explained how she planned of following Percy, Cassie had to hear it two times to finally understand and accept the fact they were stalking someone.

So yeah, there they were, stalking their friend for gods knows which reason, though Cassie had learnt to always trust Annabeth's plan.

They followed Percy into Merrywether College Prep, Cass remembered he had to read the book the Lord of the Flies. But because Percy's school was a hippie school (where teachers were probably high by last period), their test on the book consisted in reunite seventh and eighth graders in the yard.

It turned to a pebble fight, and many other fights, The school bully, was- of course he was- bullying kids.

Cassie had only met Percy's school friend once, it was late afternoon so she couldn't see much, but he seemed big and burly- Tyson whatever else- was actually a massive softy.

But seeing him in daylight made Cassie realise two things, one, he was a cyclops (Annie saw that too), and two, she needed glasses, (how couldn't she hadn't seen it before?)

Percy's English period went by, and so it was Science.
Cassie was ready to poke her eyes out if something interesting didn't happen (ADHD really was a serious thing). But something did happen, Tyson and Percy did something, (Percy always did something), and the hazardous waste removal team had to go to school.

Annabeth and her talker, gossiped, played bets and games. Annabeth told her everything about her trip to Washington D.C.

Annabeth saw Percy disappearing into the boy's locker.

"Hurry Cassie!"

Cassie looked at the signal of the door. "Nuh-uh, that's a boy room, I'm saying the hell out."

The blonde rolled her eyes and dragged her in.

And oh god- the smell, it was unbearable.

Annabeth coughed. "Haven't they heard of deodorant!?"

Cass pinched her nose and tried swatting the smell. "Apparently not."

They hid behind some lockers, still being able to see Percy and his friend Tyson.

Sloan had a picture in his hand. It was Cassie. She was grinning excitedly at the camera, her and Percy together with snow falling in their heads, thick black coats and mittens- the Rockefeller Christmas Tree in the background.

And that's how Percy knew the summer before was real, because she was real. She was in that picture, with him.

Annabeth smirked knowingly at Cassie, Cassie blushed like crazy, Percy and her were just friends.

"Hey!" Percy protested.

Stupid- Sloan checked out the picture and his eyes got wide. "No way, Jackson. Who is that? She is not your-"

"Give it back!"

Sloan handed the photo to his ugly buddies, who snickered and started ripping it up to make spit wads. They were new kids who must've been visiting, because they were all wearing those stupid HI! MY NAME IS: tags from the admissions office.

They must've had a weird sense of humor, too, because they'd all filled in strange names like: MARROW SUCKER, SKULL EATER, and JOE BOB. No parent could hate their children that much, to name them such stupid names.

"These guys are moving here next year," Sloan bragged.

"I bet they can pay the tuition, too, unlike your retard friend."