x. doing your dirtiest work for you

✧˚ ༘ ⋆。♡˚

In front of them was an empty pool rimmed with a dozen bronze Cupid statues. On the opposite side, a tunnel opened up. The sign above it read, THRILL RIDE O'LOVE: THIS IS NOT YOUR PARENTS' TUNNEL OF LOVE!

Grover approached the edge. "Guys, look."

Marooned at the bottom was a pink and white two-seater boat with little hearts painted all over it. In the left seat was a polished bronze shield, glinting in the fading light.

"This is too easy," Percy said. "So we just walk down there and get it?"

Cassie kicked a rock "This feels like a trap"

Annabeth ran her fingers along the base of the nearest Cupid statue.

"There's a Greek letter carved here. Eta. I wonder..." she mused.

"Grover," Percy asked, "you smell any monsters?"

The satyr sniffed deeply. "Nothing."

"Nothing like in-the-Arch-and-you-didn't-smell-Echidna nothing, or nothing like nothing nothing?"

Cassie nudged Percy in the ribs and Grover looked hurt. "I told you, that was underground."

"I'm sorry," the boy sighed. "I'm going down there."

"I'll go with you," Grover offered. He didn't sound too enthusiastic.

"No," Percy told him. "I want you to stay up top with the flying shoes. Red Baron, remember? I'll be counting on you for backup in case something goes wrong."

Grover puffed up his chest a little. "Sure. But what could go wrong?"

"You jinxed it," Cass informed.

"I just have a feeling," Percy explained. "Cassie, come with me-"

Anabeth smirked widely "Why can't I come Percy?"

"Because you seem to hate him" Cassie answered.

"Okay okay, I won't get in between you and the Ride of Love"

Percy blushed like a tomato while Cassie rolled her eyes trying to hide her coloured cheeks (for the millionth time that week).

The two friends reached the boat. The shield was propped on one seat, and next to it was a lady's silk scarf.

Percy picked up the scarf. He smiled, a little dreamy, and was about to rub the scarf against his cheek when Cassiopeia ripped it out of his hand and stuffed it in her pocket. "Oh, no you don't. Stay away from that love magic."

"What?"

"Just get the shield Perce, and let's get out of here."

The moment he touched the shield, she knew we were in trouble.

"Wait," Annabeth said.

"Too late!" Cass shouted trying to see a way to stop what was about to happen.

"There's another Greek letter on the side of the boat, another Eta. This is a trap!"

Percy looked around panicked. "No shit Annabeth!"

Percy and Cassie were about to die.

Noise erupted all around them, of a million gears grinding, as if the whole pool were turning into one giant machine

Grover yelled, "Guys!"