xxi. just a flesh wound

WHEN CASSIE WAS EIGHT her mother forgot to feed her for two weeks, Cassie had to sneak out the house while her mother slept. She would walk around for hours near restaurants like Dunkin Donuts or McDonalds were they threw a shit ton load of food. She then would look around and try to find food in relatively good conditions, she would pick something for her mother and her and sneak back in the house.

Cassie was thinking of her mother more than she liked to admit.

Tyson had already moved in with Percy, and Percy was definitely not happy of having Tyson as his brother.

Cassie and Annabeth tried to make Percy feel better. Cassie, Annabeth and Percy had joined to make the chariot together. Athena and Poseidon had already created stuff together, they would be unstoppable. So Cassie felt a bit like the odd one out.

One morning Annabeth, Percy and Cassie were sitting by the canoe lake sketching chariot designs when some jokers from Aphrodite's cabin walked by and asked Percy if he needed to borrow some eyeliner for his eye... "Oh sorry, eyes."

Cassie wasn't having it and turned to the blonde that had said it. "Hey Stephanie, how was it last night?"

Stephanie played dumb, her friend Olivia looking at her oddly.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Cassie gave her a sick smile. "It's just that I saw you and David kissing by the lake last night." She turned to Olivia. "Wait, wasn't that your boyfriend?"

Olivia gasped and looked at Stephanie in anger. "You bitch!"

Stephanie turned to Cassie. "You'll pay for this." And stormed off to find Olivia.

Percy looked at Cassie. "Remind me to never piss you off."

Cassie laughed and continued drawing in her sketchbook. "It's nice sometimes knowing so much about everyone."

Annabeth grumbled, "Just ignore them, Percy.
It isn't your fault you have a monster for a brother."

"He's not my brother!" Percy snapped. "And he's not a monster, either!"

Annabeth raised her eyebrows. "Hey, don't get mad at me! And technically, he is a monster."

"Well you gave him permission to enter the camp."

"Because it was the only way to save your life! I mean ... I'm sorry, Percy, I didn't expect Poseidon to claim him. Cyclopes are the most deceitful, treacherous-"

"He is not! What have you got against Cyclopes, anyway?
Annabeth's ears turned pink. Cassie had an idea why.

Cassie felt the need to interfere. "Guys stop."

Percy turned to her. "Do you have a problem with Tyson too?"

Cassie blinked surprised. "I haven't said anything."

"Just forget it," Annabeth said. "Now, the axle for this chariot-"

"You're treating him like he's this horrible thing," Percy said. "He saved my life."

Annabeth threw down her pencil and stood. "Then maybe you should design a chariot with him."

"Maybe I should."

"Fine!"

"Fine!"

Percy was on a roll and turned to Cassie glaring. "Do you want to add something? Huh? Go run to Annabeth!"

Cassie stood up, glaring at him. "When you calm down go find me Perseus and apologise."

Cassie grabbed her sketchbook and left to find peace somewhere else.