xviii. she said, "james, get in, let's drive"

CASSIE AND ANNABETH WERE waiting for Percy and Tyson in an alley down Church Street. Annabeth pulled Tyson and Percy off the sidewalk just as a fire truck screamed past, heading for Meriwether Prep.

"Where'd you find him?" The blonde demanded, pointing at Tyson.

Cassie didn't say anything, she understood why the blonde hated the cyclops.

Percy didn't seem happy about Annabeth's reaction to Tyson. He looked at Cassie- trying to see her reaction at Tyson too.

"He's my friend," Percy told her.

"Is he homeless?"

"What does that have to do with anything? He can hear you, you know. Why don't you ask him?"

She looked surprised. "He can talk?"

"I talk," Tyson admitted. "You are pretty."

"Ah! Gross!" Annabeth stepped away from him. Tyson turned to Cassie. "You're pretty too." He smiled- kind of like a child. "Pretty girl."

Cassie smiled earning a glare from Annabeth. "Aw, Tyson." She smiled at him.

Percy looked at Tyson's hands.

"Tyson," Percy said in disbelief. "Your hands aren't even burned."

"Of course not." Annabeth muttered. "I'm surprised the Laistrygonians had the guts to attack you with him around."

Tyson seemed enthralled by Cassie's star pin, she handed it to him with a smile. He played with the clip with a goofy smile.

"Annabeth," Percy said, "what are you talking about? Laistry-what?"

Cassie pinned her clip in her hair again. "Laistrygonians. The monsters in the gym. They're a race of giant cannibals who live in the far north. Odysseus ran into them once, but I've never seen them as far south as New York before." She explained to Percy,

"Laistry—I can't even say that. What would you call them in English?"

"Canadians," Annabeth decided. "Now come on,we have to get out of here."

"The police'll be after me."

"That's the least of our problems," Cass said. "Have you been having the dreams?"

"The dreams ... about Grover?"

Her face turned pale. "Grover? No, what about Grover?" Percy told them his dream. "Why? What were you dreaming about?"

"Camp," Annabeth said at last. "Big trouble at camp."

"My mom was saying the same thing! But what kind of trouble?"

"I don't know exactly. Something's wrong. We have to get there right away. Monsters have been chasing me all the way from Virginia, trying to stop me. Have you had a lot of attacks?"

Percy shook his head. "None all year ... until today."

"None? But how ..." Her eyes drifted to Tyson. "Oh."

"What do you mean, "oh?"

Tyson raised his hand like he was still in class. "Canadians in the gym called Percy something ... Son of the Sea God?"

Cassie, Annabeth and Percy exchanged looks.

"Big guy," Percy said, "you ever hear those old stories about the Greek gods? Like Zeus, Poseidon, Athena "

"Yes," Tyson said.

"Well ... those gods are still alive. They kind of follow Western Civilization around, living in the strongest countries, so like now they're in the U.S. And sometimes they have kids with mortals. Kids called half-bloods."