Chapter XIV

Your pupils were like pin needles. Coriolanus stood in front of you, a humble tray in his hand. He smiled down at you as he pulled a chair up to your table.

Alice gave him an investigative glance as he sat and set his food on the table. He eventually glanced over at her, offering a hand for her to shake.

"Coriolanus Snow, it's a pleasure." The veins on his hand popped from beneath the cuffs on his button-up, and you could feel yourself begin to salivate.

"Charmed," remarked Alice, her slender fingers wrapping around his as if they were snakes. She looked back towards you as she released his grip, giving a glance of he's yours, say something.

"I didn't catch your name," Coriolanus interjected, his view still on Alice. You could feel jealously writhing throughout your body as he looked at her. Alice could also sense your distaste for his sudden attention in her and tried to divert the conversation back to you without seeming too obvious.

"Alice Brighton," she responded. "Though, I'd hardly say that's a name worth remembering." She looked towards you for reassurance, but you acted like you didn't notice her glance your way. You didn't want to give Coriolanus the power of knowing you felt jealous he was talking to another girl. That would ruin you.

He scoffed. "Hardly!" he said, grabbing onto your shoulders. "Any friend of my partners is a friend of mine!"

Your eyes widened, pushing his hand off of you. Alice stood flabbergasted, but you shook your head discreetly to help her understand you were not his partner, but not let him see it.

Coriolanus rolled his eyes at you, a charming smile left stained on his face. "My project partner," he clarified, playfully shoving you. "You flatter me."

Your cheeks were flushed with red as he continued to laugh to himself, proud of his accomplishment. Alice nodded as if she understood the project partner, but you didn't feel like explaining the intricacies.

Of course, he did.

"We work together under Doctor Gaul," he explained as he ripped off a piece of his baguette, dipping it in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. "A great reward for a marvelous mentor," he purred, his cheeks beginning to flush red.

Alice perked up from the slump she had maintained in her seat since he first sat down. "What do you do for Doctor Gaul?" she questioned, looking back to you for an explanation.

Coriolanus paused mid-chew, understanding the secret he had just exposed. "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know you hadn't told her." He set down his bread and finished chewing before saying another word. "I can explain it, or you can-"

"I will," you insisted, adjusting your seat to a more comfortable position. You stared into Alice's eyes, hoping she didn't hate you for the words you were about to utter.

"After my actions in the games and my victory, Doctor Gaul called me to her office. She insisted I begin to work alongside her to help change the games, to get more people to watch." Your breath ran cold against your lips, watching Alice stare back at you in subtle horror.

"She will continue to call on Coriolanus and me until satisfied with our contributions. Or at least me," you gestured towards Coriolanus. "He'll be alongside her for most of his life."

He scoffed. "Hardly." He took another bite of his lunch, savoring almost every bite. "She's already made tremendous changes," he added, gesturing in your direction. "She might put me out of a job if she continues."

Alice's eyes locked on you, ignoring that Coriolanus was sitting at your table. "What changes did you make?" her words were like icicles against your face.