Chapter IV

Your heart was pounding against your chest. Garnett was sitting in his cell, waiting for you to say something to him, but you couldn't. You wanted to ask him if what he said was true, if he actually felt that way, or if it was all part of the game, but you couldn't get the words out.

A peacekeeper put his hand on your shoulder. "You need to leave now," he said bluntly. "The games are tomorrow. This is as far as you go."

You paused. "Just give me one minute, please."

The peacekeeper looked down the corridor, then back at you. "I'll be in the car. Do not make me drag you out of here."

You thanked him, waiting until his footsteps were out of earshot before you turned to Garnett. "I'm sorry for not saying anything. I don't know what to say."

His eyes didn't look dead anymore. They hadn't since the interview. He stared at you with so much hope, like he finally had the confidence he needed to win this thing. "You don't have to be sorry," he assured you. "It's not like you were prepared for me to say that."

"Did you-" You bit your tongue, not wanting to overstep or make this situation any more awkward than it was. "Did you mean what you said, or was that an act?"

Garnett laughed, shaking his head at you. "We both know I'm not a very good actor."

Your cheeks flushed with red. Now, it was a good thing he couldn't see you, or he'd know just how flustered you were. How could he feel such a way about you? You two had just met, and you were training him to be some proxy for the Capitol's enjoyment. How could he ever care so deeply for someone like that?

It had been longer than a minute now. "Garnett," you called to him, trying not to sound sad or scared in these last moments with him before he had to enter that arena. "Please, please make it out of there tomorrow. I can't let this be the last time I see you."

Garnett walked towards you, taking your hands within his own. Though it took him time to find them, he squeezed you tightly. "I won't. I need to see you clearly just once before I die."

He placed a gentle kiss against your knuckles and then nudged you away toward where he heard the peacekeeper's footsteps not long ago. You smiled at him, hoping somehow he could see the outline of your smile, and then you turned down the tunnel and to the car.

You opened the door to the passenger side, not saying a word to the peacekeeper. "You should wipe your face so no one sees," he ordered.

You glanced in the side mirror and saw tears trickling down the side of your face. The fake ones you wore the day of the reaping haunted your memories. At the start of it all, you wanted to act like you were sad, that you felt sorry for these poor tributes. But now, you did, and some might argue you even cared for them.

~~~~~~~~

You hardly slept that night; your alarm filled your body with dread. The games began today. Garnett would be thrown into that arena today and practically sentenced to slaughter. You hoped the sponsors sent in enough money for you to use to at least try and keep him alive for more than a day. You did have hope for him, so much hope, but that only took you so far.

The air was colder than the day before, and the atmosphere was much more sinister. Unlike the day of the reaping, you were the first to arrive in the viewing center inside the Academy. Lucky Flickerman was there, performing the last sound checks with his crew. Though part of you despised that man, he was an excellent host.

From word around your fellow mentors, several of their tributes had already died before today. You didn't bother to ask how or why, but the vitals of only 19 tributes showed on the screen before you. Eighteen people, you thought. That's all he has to outlast, just Eighteen.