Fifty |

Fifty | 

When I opened my eyes, I was back in my own body. The memory of the former keeper of the pendant...it had showed me exactly what the pendant could do, and I realized why it had been protected by Saphira. I looked around, I noted the dark and dingy room, and the very odd man sitting at the window. My exhausted and sore body tensed. 

"Who are you?" My voice shook. 

Golden eyes shone through the darkness. "You're safe little one." 

My heart relaxed and I moved forward, across the bed to stare at him. His voice, it was Oberon's and yet, he didn't look like the Oberon I knew. His raven-coloured locks were slicked back and sat above his shoulders, and his horns were gone. So was his typical fae attire. Instead, the fae I knew was dressed in a black tunic and a dark fur jacket. Instantly, my hands moved to his cheeks, he rubbed against my palms like a cat. 

"You don't like it?" He chuckled. 

I frowned. "It's not you." 

"Glamor darling," he replied. "We're still in Neorian after all, and you needed a proper bed. We're at the nearest town from the sand land. Rest assure, Phoenix has the face of a horse once more. More importantly, how do you feel?"  

I tilted my head. "How were you expecting I feel?" 

He chuckled. "You're answering questions with questions. That's not fair."

"Neither is secrets. Should you go first or should I?" 

Silence fell over us. 

I gave in first. "Did you know the power of the pendant?" 

"I do."

"And you wished me not to have control over it?" 

"It is not that," he sighed, grasping my hands. "I worry this is all too much all too soon. I worry for your health. You've been asleep for eight days--" 

"Eight days?" I cried in horror. 

He nodded. "It's become apart of you, like the circlet. Phoenix and Ebby have been quite worried. I was...I was quite worried as well little one. Do not have me so fearful again." 

A smile pulled onto my lips. "Forgive me Oberon." 

"No forgiving is needed." 

More comfortable silence. 

Comfortable. 

It was as if we were finally of the same team. Without secrets. It was just us.

"Will you travel with me?" I asked nervously. 

"Would you like me to?" 

My face heated. "Yes. I suppose I would. Of course, it is dangerous travelling alone. I should travel with a guard--I am royalty after all." 

"Very well," he nodded, a smile on his face. "Very well."  

"Then I shall sleep until morning!" I puffed to hide my delight. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight my queen."

Goodness, the fae truly knew how to make a lady blush. 

When morning came, Oberon left to check on Phoenix and I changed into my Arianne attire. It was a tad drafty. A pair of see-through silk pants tapered at the bottoms and a pair of shorts that were a dark emerald to match my shirt. The shirt--if one could call it that--that wrapped around my breasts, allowing all my scars to show. 

I suppose hiding them meant nothing now.

Although, the markings of gold on my chest were new. A swirl that matched the pendant's design. It made sense, I supposed. Like the circlet, I had to combine each gift into my very being. Only then could I fulfill the prophecy. 

For better or for worse.  

"Little one?" Oberon called. "Are you dressed?"

As dressed as this attire allowed. A blush danced across my face. It was best to get used to the discomfort of this clothing now before I reached Arianne and who better to assist me in that task than Oberon? My faithful guard. 

"Come in," I said softly.  

The door swung open, and he stepped through. His eyes widened as he looked at me, an emotion I didn't understand played on his face. The fae crossed the room in three steps before wrapping one arm around my waist and his other hand gently cupped my cheek. 

Was he always this much taller than myself?  

I gasped; my eyes wide. "Oberon." 

There was a tinge of red on his cheeks. "Little one, you are magnificent." 

My eyes shifted away. "You're teasing me." 

"No," he murmured, leaning down to nuzzle my neck. "Never." 

Desire filled me and I pressed my hands to his chest, pushing him away slightly. The last time I wanted a man, his father was murdered by my very own brother—desire didn't end well. 

"Arianne, I hear there's fae there," I said quickly. 

Those golden eyes bored into my soul. "Yes. Not many, but enough to be seen. It's one of many places us fae don't have to hide. In theory of course." 

"In theory?" 

"Yes. Being a fae anywhere is dangerous, being a fae in a kingdom who worships us is deadly. We are hunted for sport by the greed of those who do not have our abilities." 

"Elementals?" I wondered. 

He chuckled. "No."

"How could a normal human hunt a fae?" I scolded. It didn't make sense. 

"I hope you never find out." 

Something told me that wouldn't be a realistic hope. I sighed, looking out the window. In the distance, far in the distance, I could see a large and glooming wall. I could not depict what it was made of, but it was of a pale yellow and I'm sure it was quite strong. 

"Is that Stria?" 

"It is."

I took a deep breath, filling my body with hope and determination. Turning on my heels, I faced Oberon with a bright smile and held out my hand. His lips twitched and he took a step forward, grasping my hand. Warm flowed through us. 

A bond. 

"Well then," I chirped brightly. "Shall we away?"

He nodded. "Take lead my queen. I will follow you anywhere." 

The fae summoner and her band of fae. 

Ha. 

I wished Arianne luck.