Thirty Five |

Thirty Five |

            "The tournament will take place of the span of seven days my lady. The first night of the tournament will be a large welcome ball with all invited noble families, royal families, and elemental knights that will participate. On the second day the current royal elemental forces will fight including your brother, the crown prince and the princess and so on. The third day in the morning will be all new elementals, including yourself, and the afternoon will be the other elementals starting with the lowest rankings in each class to highest rankings. The fourth day will have a festival in the town to celebrate the end of the first phase. My lady, are you understanding so far?" Adyn asked gently while brushing my hair.

            I nodded slowly, "Yes."

            "The fifth day will be the start of the true purpose of the tournament. Elemental ranked winners from the first phase will fight winners from the royal guard. Most of the time those who have made it to the second phase get sponsors, however it is the second phase that the queen truly considers when she watches to add more royal guards into her forces."

            "Right," I replied slowly, "And the sixth day?"

            "On the sixth day, the fighting wraps up and there is a ending ball and finally, on the seventh day the queen will name the new royal guards, award prizes and often will express her thanks to whichever kingdoms decided to attend," Ayden replied.

            I frowned slightly, "Why does the royal elementals fight each other?"

            "Entertainment mostly," she replied with a shrug, "To prove to the queen they're still useful. They must prove that they deserve their standing." 

            My eyes narrowed, "That's foolish."

            "Ah," Ayden gasped, her eyes wide and her face red, "I-I couldn't say."

            I nodded slowly, my eyes moving over to Loli's face who was being extremely quiet. I watched her carefully as she pulled the laces free of my gown and relaced them. I had returned from the catacombs a few days ago and since then, she had been more than quiet. It was odd but I knew that with all that has been going on, it was understandable. Not to mention, the tournament was to start in a matter of days, because of this I had not seen Eliza since our journey.

            "What other kingdoms will come to the tournament?" I asked.

            Ayden perked up, "Oh our allies Neorian, Arianne, and Sophocles are invited. Neorian always replies to their invite. Arianne does not, they simply show up, and Sophocles always decline. Oh it's so wonderful, they always go over the top for the tournament. The Waerburh royals of Arianne are always so exciting, they sure do know how to party."

            "Ayden that's not appropriate," Loli snapped.

            My eyes flickered over to her, "I've heard of that too. The kingdom of Arianne throws the largest ball every few years and declare their land neutral grounds. They call it the Festival of Fun correct?"

            "Yes," she replied, her eyes dropping back down to my gown, "But we shouldn't talk ill of the royals. There is spies everywhere and with the tournament coming up we musn't speak of anything that can cause strife."

            I blinked. The royals of Arianne being huge partiers was nothing new. Their drinking habits and wild sexual nature was discussed throughout the lands. I had even heard that brothels pay more for woman from Arianne as they are known for their sexual aptitude. I'm sure even if they decided to come this year that they would not care if people discussed their sexual nature.