FIVE | The Royal City

The city was massive!

Bright, vibrant buildings and shops first caught my eye, a long road flaked with beautiful, metal lamps, each purple flames no doubt possible by fire elementals. Prince Bram slowed his horse to a trot as he continued down the road. As we did, guards dressed in gold bowed towards his horse as we passed, all people in this city dressed in luxurious clothing. No doubt all were in the very least if gentry if not nobles.

"Good morning Prince Bram," one older woman giggled batting her lashes as she approached the horse, I eyed her carefully, she dressed in a lavish brown gown with a large floppy hat, she seemed to enjoy his attention and while she seemed to enjoy dressing lavishly, there was no colour to her attire, "I've never seen you with a lady before."

I tensed at her words but he chuckled, "Suppose there is always a first to everything. Enjoy your day Lady Barone, however I must be off, duty awaits."

Without waiting for her responds, his horse sped up. He seemed to hurry away from the woman as quickly as possible without causing suspicion. Once the large castle was in view, surrounded by another set of walls, but this time they were much smaller. I looked up at the impressive fortress as we approached a clear arch way, another set of guards at the open entrance. While it appeared welcoming, there was a certain tenseness in the air.

"I apologize about Lady Barone," Prince Bram said in my ear, "She is married to a gentry trader who is never home, so she spends her time gossiping. Such gossip makes her popular among the noble women as she seems to always know everything, including rumors."

I shivered slightly, "She seems like a terrible woman."

"Yes, she can be," he laughed.

"Prince Bram," a guard called coldly, "We have been expecting you and your...guest."

I watched the guards curiously. Bram nodded to the two, his horse moving past the gate and into the castle's large and stretching courtyard. My eyes widened as I watched a few elementals practiced their abilities, water danced, objects hovering in the air, flowers stretched and grew, flames twisting. It was all so fascinating, my eyes watching carefully as these people trained. Bram headed the horse towards the side of the castle where a stable sat. As we walked, I noticed the looks Bram was getting, and it wasn't looks that one ought to give the eldest prince. I frowned slightly, what had he done to warrant such coldness?

"Ciara?"

I turned, looking back to him, "Yes your highness?"

When he smiled, his eyes crinkled, "Are you ready to enter the castle?"

There was a lump in my throat as I swallowed, "Yes."

As ready and I'd ever be at least.

I stood in the large stable as Prince Bram took off the horse's saddle, and thrown it over the side of the stall. It stank of horse waste and hay. I shifted from foot to foot, anxiety plaguing my mind as he wasted time tending to the horses' comfort. I knew my bitter thoughts were unfair, it was simply my own panic as to why I was here. If the king truly wish to interrogate me, why dally around? Or perhaps it was a scheme to drive me insane. If so, it was working well.

"Prince Bram," I said eventually, as he began brushing his horse, "Why am I here?"

He blinked, looking at me with confusion, "You don't know why?"

"You haven't told me anything."

He lowered the brush, "Lady Roisin, I was sent by—"

"By me."

The deep voice sounded so familiar and yet I could not place it. I turned slowly, my eyes widening as I stared at the two men who had appeared at the entrance of the stable. The first, I could recognize as a sibling of Bram's instantly. The familiar black locks and blue eyes were uncanny. However, this man was a tad younger in the face and yet his eyes held none of the kindness that Bram's had. He wore royal clothing but his jacket was that of an elemental guard—the phoenix symbol sewn to the left breast.

However, he was not the one who had spoke. Beside him, was a taller man with light brown locks and bright green eyes. He wore the clothing of the royal elemental guard. I watched the man carefully, his face familiar and yet I could not place it.

"And you are?" I demanded, crossing my arms over my chest.

The man looked surprised, "You don't recognize your own brother?"

I gasped, my foot moving to take a step back. This man—this man was Fionn? Surprise hit me and then anger, and finally, hurt. A lump formed in my throat and I swallowed it down, looking back towards Bram's stead. Fionn had left us so long ago, Mama was dead and now is the time he decided that family mattered?

"Do you still go by the name Roisin?" I asked softly.

He blinked, his eyes soft, "Of course."

"Very well Sir Roisin," I replied coldly, my heart heavy with emotions, "I'm afraid this will not be the reunion you have expected. You have left us well over five years ago, going onto six. I turn eighteen years of age in a month, and we have heard nothing from you. Mama is dead now and with her, our sibling bond."

The man beside Fionn stepped forward, clearly angry, "Is that what you think?"

"It what I know," I spat back, "And who are you? My brother's keeper?"

"I am Prince Erik, heir to the throne," he growled.

My eyes widened, and for a moment my heart stopped. It seemed my brother had made very powerful friends it would seem. Such power was a dangerous thing, and it would seem that for whatever reason my brother fetched me, I would have to play nice or I'd be offending the royal crown's heir. Out of my anger, I had forgotten my standing. Like a mouse trying to fight off a hawk. It was not a mistake I'd make again.

So I curtsied, "Please forgive me, your highness."

Fionn stepped forward, brushing his fingers against my cheek, "Ara, I'm so sorry I was late. I wished to come for you years ago, but I-I could not pause my training. I am the heir prince's royal advisor. His shield and his friend."

He was telling me kindly that he picked his home and it was not our village.

"Why have you seen for me?" I whispered, tears collecting in my eyes.

His fingers dropped, "Because you are my blood and you belong with me. There is much to tell you but it is words not meant for the listening walls. You are free to leave but I ask you to stay, and listen to what I must tell you."

I wanted to leave, and yet I was so curious.

"I have no money," I settled on saying, "I cannot afford to stay."

He smiled, "I have more than enough money for the both of us. You may spend what you want of it. Anything you want. I have a room on the floor of the royal guard but I have already secured you your own room on the same floor as the Princess. You will also attend the elemental academy which will teach you to be a proper lady and scholar."

I gasped, "I cannot! I'm a nobody—not even an elemental."

"But you are sister of Fionn Roisin," Bram piped in cheerfully, "It is true that you are no noble by blood but due to your blood ties to Sir Roisin, makes you a noble by status."

My eyes bulged as I looked towards Fionn.

He smiled proudly, "Something on your tongue sister?"

"Who have you become?" I whispered.