Forty-Five |

Forty-Five |

    "The town square?" I repeated slowly. 

    Aldrich nodded. "That's where the dance will take place—we walked through it many times; do you not remember? It's that large opening in the middle of the island? It's where the road opens up into a large stone centre. It's a place nobles love to gather? Surely you jest little cousin. How do you not remember it?" 

    My eyes roll. "I get it. I'm a silly little girl who needs to pay more attention to her surroundings. Do not patronize me." 

    He snorted, pulling one of my braids back to pin to the top of my head. "I'm just saying it's a tad hard to miss. You'll feel silly when you see it. It's been cleared and decorated specifically for the dance and the festival. They'll be vendors there too."

    Kahuna toyed with her blade. "It's easy to overlook when you haven't grown up here."

"You're just pleased you're not doing the dance," Aldrich scolded. 

She grinned. "Of course, I am. I am a warrior not a dancer."

"Could have fooled me," I grumbled. "It turns out I am neither."

"Oh, quiet you," she laughed. "You'll do fine. Brother, hurry up with her hair."  

"Do you want to do it?"

I looked back and forth through the mirror at them. 

"No. I want you to do it faster."

"You're complaining a lot for a person sitting and doing nothing." 

"I'm overseeing your work. That's not nothing. Without me, she'd miss the dance all together. Lory Braxton has arrived to dress her almost an hour ago. Silly boy." 

"You make me wish to throw a chair at you."

"I wish you would. Then I'd have a reason to humble your lacking combat abilities. You couldn't even beat Erik Yarrow," she sneered. 

"Neither could you," he laughed. "Aren't you supposed to be the general, not me?"

I sighed loudly, causing them to pause. "This is not calming my nerves."

"You see Sister?" Aldrich gleamed. "You're not calming my nerves."

"I'm going to go escort Lory Braxon in," she snapped. "Before I kill you."

"Farewell!" Aldrich mocked. 

I looked at him through the mirror. "Why do you do that?"

"Do what?" He asked, pinning the last stand up before picking up the arrangement of cerulean crystals that would be clipped into my hair. 

"Bug her so," I muttered. 

He smiled. "Isn't that my job? To be her biggest support and worst critic?" 

My eyes widened. "Is that the role of a sibling?"

"Of course," he said then paused. "Ah. Forgive me, I forget you and Fionn have an unusual relationship. Before he was stolen by the Yarrow guards, how was your relationship?" 

Thinking back, I suppose he was right. Fionn was always my biggest supporter when we went on hikes and even when he tried to teach me how to swim—and yet, he was also the worst critic a small child could have. I smiled at the memories. Once, I'd been tripped by another boy and Fionn pushed him into the river then called me stinky. I had been so mad and yet, thinking back it warmed my heart. Even now. 

"Ara?"

"Yes. I suppose you're right," I whispered softly, swallowing back tender tears. "He was the same. My biggest support and worst critic."

He squeezed my shoulder. "He is not worthy of your love and yet, you loved anyways. You are a kind and compassionate woman little cousin." 

I shook my head but said nothing. He was wrong. I did not love Fionn--I hated him. I hated that he'd tricked me, and I hated that he'd ruined our family's name. I did not create tears for what had been done but for what could have been done. We could have been happy; we could have lived a quiet and peaceful life. However, he'd ruined everything with his selfishness.

Although, I suppose without his betrayal, I'd never had found the fae.

Perhaps this was all the work of fate. If so, I'd kill Fionn and then fate too. 

I'd kill everything that stood in my way. 

The door opened, and Lory Braxon stepped through with Kahuna on his heels. Aldrich stepped away from me before the two whispered back and forth. I decided that didn't conern me, so I looked at Lory with a nervous smile. 

"I've brought your Arianne attire," they said. 

"Thank you," I gushed, eternally grateful. "May I see them?"

"Ah," Kahuna hummed. "I've already stolen them and placed them with your other Arianne stuff. I imagine it's already on Phoenix back by now." 

Disappointment filled me. "I see."

"Do not pout little cousin," she scolded. "You were the one who said you wished to leave as soon as the dance is over."

That was true but still, it did not quell my disappointment.  

Lory clapped their hands together. "Well! Enough chatter. We are already running late."

Aldrich's eyes rolled. "Her hair looks amazing. You're welcome." 

"Yes, it'll do," They replied. "I expect no less from the future king." 

Aldrich puffed out his chest and gleamed at Kahuna whose eyes rolled. 

"We leave her in your care then," Kahuna hummed, grabbing Aldrich's arm. "Let us be off then. We must dress and prepare ourselves. We'll see you at the dance." 

"We're not going together?" I gasped. 

"No. We will be there sooner than you," Kahuna replied. "You'll be going with Orris."

I scowled. 

"Do not be so sour," she snapped. "He will be your guard. You've seen his abilities already; he is more than capable to protect you. If nothing goes array, then use him as a prop. He will also be dressed to impress." 

"Fine," I grunted. 

"Good luck Ara," Aldrich called with a smile. "You'll do great."

I could only hope so. The door closed with their leave and silence fell over us. I watched Lory prepare my attire quietly, my thoughts plaguing my mind. Although Edric told me it mattered not the results of the dance as failure and success would be benifical and yet...

...how could I not want to succeed?      

"Are you ready my dear?" They asked, looking at me. 

I nodded, knotting my fingers into tight fists. "I'm ready." 

They smiled. "Then it is time for you to dance for fate."

Dance for fate? 

I clenched my jaw tight enough my teeth ached. 

Very well. Then I should dance for fate—and it would be fate's last.