Forty Seven |

Forty Seven |

This was not what I was expecting.

This was not at all in any way what I was expecting but it made sense now why Ayden had left early. She had said, "Lady Ciara I cannot go. Your titles would survive and perhaps even flourish from this but mine would not," and I had thought she meant being involved in a fight.

That's what I thought this would be.

Perhaps I was expecting an underground fighting pit in which those involved did not recognize royals, or perhaps I was expecting a large empty building in which they'd simply throw fists at each other but this—this was not in my mind at all.

From my now understanding, the Bismuth Pit was a tea house for women in the sort of way that there was wine houses for noble men. Except, due to the certain dangers for women in these sort of settings, all the men working the tea house were...eunuchs.

"My lady, would you like more tea?" A handsome man dressed in nothing but a pair of riding pants asked.

He had said his name was Crim. His pale body had been painted all over with beautiful images (blue and yellow paints mixed in places making green, red swirls across his biceps) and his long black hair was pulled back into a ponytail. He wore red lines above his eyes, and gems had been placed throughout his hair. However, I had a hard time keeping my gaze on him, his appearance was certainly sexual.

"Yes," Saewynn giggled, "I'd love some more."

Crim gave her a warm smile, pouring her another cup of what was not tea but instead fermented moonwort. Apparently, moonwort was a much more potent sibling to mug wort which had less vision effects and more seductive effects. It was practically wine.

"I still don't understand," I said slowly.

"What don't you understand?" Eliza asked.

"We're drinking together," my words were slow as I tried to figure this out.

"That's right."

"And you're not going to fight," I sat up, accepting the cup.

Eliza grinned, "Not every fight is a physical one."

"This fight is one of drinks and intelligence."

"Oh loosen up," Saewynn giggled, "This festival is fun. Let us enjoy it."

"Does that mean you'll apologize for your ways?" Eliza sneered.

My eyes flickered between them. They seemed to be relaxed sitting around the table, but I could see the way their faces were cleverly guarded. Perhaps they were always like that. On either side of Eliza was Rose and Mary, and across from her was Saewynn and her still hooded lover, and on the third side was myself and Kahuna.

"Of course not," Saewynn replied, taking a sip of the tea, "I'd rather die."

"I look forward to that day."

I gasped loudly and Kahuna merely rolled her eyes, "Calm yourself cousin. This is as good as friends that we shall ever be. We look forward to the day that the others die because that would mean victory for ourselves and yet we look forward to each others victory."

My mind swirled, "I-I do not understand."

"It's a hard thing to do," she agreed.