ELEVEN |

ELEVEN |

My hand flew to my mouth as I realized my horrid mistake. Chewing at my bottom lip I looked from the dead flower and back to him. Then against my better judgement, I told him everything. He listened quietly, without interruption. 

"I see," he said when I was done. 

I looked down at my hands, "Will you keep my secret?"

"Of course," he replied with a smile, "But I think you are an elemental."

I perked up at that, "You do?"

"After classes, let's try and summon your abilities. I have never been wrong before. Not to mention your eyes," he said. 

I tilted my head, "My eyes?"

"I have never seen eyes so emerald green. That must mean something."

A giggle slipped from my lips, "I do hope you're right about that."

I truly did. I wanted nothing more than to believe that deep down somewhere I was an elemental. Even if a minor one. The thought of Benji taking the life out of the lavender slipping from my mind as he began his private lesson. 

For the next hour I hovered over the soil with my fingers spread, Benji telling me tactics I could try such as focusing my thoughts on growth, etc. but we had no luck. At the end of the hour all I felt was exhaustion and disappointment. 

"Hey," Benji said, placing his ebony hand on my pale one, "Don't stress out. It'll happen but slowly. We'll keep working on it, ok?" 

I nodded, a small smile on my face, "Thank you." 

For a moment we just stood, his hand on mine. I had never considered it before but all the men in the castle were utterly beautiful. My lips parted as I stared at Benji's eyes. Now I noticed they were brown but once he began casting they lit with the prettiest golden hues. 

"Benji!" Prince Bram's voice called from outside. 

We jolted, flying apart. A hot blush danced across my cheeks as I stumbled back and curtsied to Benji. As I did, the door was pushed open and Bram stepped through, a cut ran through his thick sleeve and through his skin. 

"What have you done to your arm?" Benji grumbled, annoyed. 

Bram looked between us, a frown on his face, "More importantly, what are you doing in an empty room with the Lady Roisin? Do I hear bells tolling in the distance?" 

Benji's eyes dropped in shame and I looked between them with confusion. 

"He was giving me elemental training," I said not sure what his words meant. 

Bram's icy blue eyes slid to me with sympathy, "Is that so? Ciara, you cannot be in a room alone with a man. Your reputation would ruin." 

"I-I don't understand," I stuttered, "He is an instructor."

Bram nodded, "All the reason not to be in the same room with him. I'm not telling you to stop, however please ensure you begin bringing at least your attendee with you for these after hours meetings. The castle is unforgiving when it comes to gossip." 

"Especially with me," Benji muttered. 

I blinked, "I'm sorry, I don't understand."

"I know," Bram sighed, "You are still new here but you will. Now come, I shall escort you back to your chambers. I believe Eliza has an evening class soon, you should take a small break before your lesson in history." 

That had me perked up as I took his arm, "The history of Ipunia?"

"Yes, and the tales of the first elemental," he replied as we walked.