Thirty Three |

Thirty Three |

            Eyes turned to me as I left the arena and hurried down the path towards the castle. Outside, Ayden and Loli stood. I smiled at them, as they hurried over. It warmed my heart to see them so concerned.

            "I'm alright," I said softly.

            Ayden's eyes dragged across my form, "Your attire, did Lord Roisin heal you?"

            "Yeah," I replied with a heavy sigh, "He did."

            "He's not with you?"

            "No."

            Actually, as soon as he healed me, he left saying something about the appropriate attire for the tournament. It made sense, I certainly could not wear ripped clothing. I looked up towards the bright sky, there was so much on my mind and I couldn't help but think of Mama. Fionn and I both had gotten so strong, we had gotten so far and continued to do what she had been robbed of. Tears stung my eyes and I smiled slightly, I know she'd be proud of us. Even of Fionn—no matter how much his heart had frozen.

            We returned to my room where I bathed. I allowed Loli to help as she instructed Ayden how to ready my baths and how I liked them. She wasn't wrong, and I was impressed on how much she had observed about me but I said nothing. I was much too tired to argue. They scrubbed the dirt and sweat from my body before dressing me. I was dressed into a lovely pale green gown, a white stay and a pair of black shoes, my hair braided before pinned to the top of my head in an elegant braided bun. As soon as I was fully dressed, there was a light knock at the door. I turned my head, and Ayden moved to open the door.

            "Would you have lunch with me?" Eliza asked with a bright smile.

            I nodded, my own lips pulling with happiness, "I'd love to."

            "Ayden take this time to explore more, Rosa go with her," the princess commanded.

            Rosa nodded, "Yes my lady."

            "What shall I do?" Loli asked hopefully.

            "I do not care."

            She deflated as I followed after Eliza, guilt biting at my heart.

            "Tough love will be good for her," Eliza reminded me.

            I said nothing, simply continuing to chew at my bottom lip.

            We settled in the large dining hall where lunch was being served. I noticed the amount of nobles at the table along with Erik, Eliza and the entire royal elemental guard force, including the man who now wore a bandage on his neck. Nervously, I took a step closer to Eliza who didn't seemed to notice and no one seemed to notice our sudden entrance into the room. Instead, we sat at the end of the table and Eliza scooted her chair closer to mine while the servants placed foods and wines at the table.

            We were served wild boar stew with salted plums, bread, and blueberries. As we ate, Eliza sipped at her wine while I sipped at my water. I noticed how Fionn was not at lunch with Erik which was a rare occurrence but perhaps his facial wound required more medical attention than expected. I took the time to blend into the table, listening quietly to the tables loud chatter. They talked of the tournament mostly, occasionally discussing other noble families and taking bets as which families will sponsor elementals.