Chapter 99 - The Secret Is Out - Part 2

Start from the beginning

"Can we step outside for a moment?" he asked suddenly, and Evan's wolf automatically wagged his tail in agreement, not realising Aiden didn't understand him.

"When he wags his tail, it means yes," Ryan quickly interpreted, realising it too.

Aiden nodded his head that he understood and then stood up. Evan automatically did the same and followed him, keeping enough distance that he wouldn't be uncomfortable, and that's how they reached Josh's backyard. Evan expected the blonde man to automatically sit down somewhere, but he just froze at a random spot and lowered his gaze to the ground.

Unfortunately, Evan couldn't address him in this form to see what was going on so he did the next best thing. He barked at him.

Aiden jerked in alarm as he hadn't expected it, but it served its purpose as he made eye contact with him again. "I'm sorry, E," were his words when he finally spoke, and Evan tilted his head to the side in confusion.

The blonde's entire stance was uncertain, and as Evan focused on the details, he noticed how his fists were clenched and how his shoulders were unnaturally stiff. He couldn't remember if he'd ever seen his friend like this, but he didn't like it. He couldn't do anything about it, though, as he still wasn't sure if he could approach him.

"I'm sorry, E," he repeated the same words, but this time his tone sounded different, and Evan could tell exactly what was behind it since he knew what his own voice sounded like when he was holding back tears.

This time he didn't think about keeping a safe distance and stepped closer, brushing against Aiden's legs in a comforting gesture.

It was obviously this moment they'd both been waiting for and just as he was keeping a safe distance, Aiden was doing the same. Now, however, there was nothing stopping him from squatting down and running his hand into the grey fur.

"I feel so awful, E," he said, his voice shaking. "I'm so terribly sorry about everything." On the one hand, Evan understood why he was apologising, but he had no idea what had provoked such a reaction. He was confused, but he couldn't voice it in this form. So he had no choice but to wait to see what Aiden would say next.

"You were my best friend, and I couldn't handle the change. I treated you ho-horribly. I'm s-so terribly s-sorry." When Evan looked up at his face, what he'd suspected was confirmed. Aiden couldn't hold back the tears any longer.

"I didn't know how to make it right, so... so I continued to avoid you while missing you s-so terribly. I'm an idiot," he continued despite his tears. Evan tapped his snout against his chin in return, the way (obnoxious) cats did when they tried to comfort their owners. Aiden chuckled at the gesture despite his tears and stroked Evan's head with his other hand.

"I don't know if you can forgive me..." he began, but Evan immediately wagged his tail to let him know he had no problem with that. Aiden chuckled again, though it sounded muffled due to the tears in his voice.

"I'm so terribly sorry about all of this, E. I let you down and you still decided to trust me with something so big. I... Thank you." His voice trailed off towards the end, but Evan was close enough to catch his words. He now regretted that he wasn't in human form to return them, and though he considered it, he still had no desire to find himself naked, so he had to express his feelings as a wolf. So he pressed closer to Aiden, leaning all his weight against him, and the blonde thankfully understood what he was trying to do and gently hugged him back.

"You're so fluffy." Aiden chuckled into his fur. Then he was quiet but still didn't let the wolf out of his grip. It took a few moments before he decided to let him go, but before he did, he added one last thing: "I promise I won't let you down again."

Evan barked in response as he couldn't answer any other way, but apparently, that was enough for Aiden as a smile finally appeared on his face. Even though Evan couldn't give him a proper answer and they'd probably have to repeat this conversation later, something had still changed between the two of them and finally there wasn't an awkward atmosphere reigning between them.

"You probably want to go back inside, but I'm not sure I want Angie to see me like this," Aiden remarked, pointing to his face, which clearly showed that he'd been crying. Evan mentally agreed with him, knowing that Angie could have made the situation even worse, but Aiden had the advantage of the fact that she couldn't talk at the moment, so he had nothing to worry about. He explained it simply, gently taking his pant leg in his teeth and tugging on it, pulling him towards the door.

"Okay, okay, I'm coming." The blonde raised his hands in the air in a sign of surrender and laughed at Evan's little ploy.

The moment they crossed the threshold of the living room together and appeared in the line of sight of their friends, all attention turned to the two of them, and it was clear that everyone was eagerly awaiting their return. Aiden paced nervously, not enjoying the spotlight, so Evan decided to handle the situation in his own way.

Angie didn't have a chance to react when the grey wolf ran at her, and the moment he lunged at her, they both rolled across the carpet several times. It didn't take long for her to recover, however, and she snapped her teeth at him in a warning gesture, but Evan made nothing of it and nipped at her ear, then immediately jumped up and ran away, knowing she'd be right at his heels.

"I have a feeling we should have moved outside," Josh declared, although his voice sounded amused. After all, his living room wasn't big enough for two unnaturally large wolves and a bunch of teenagers.

"We can still do that. But without the ball," Michael replied, and although he sounded annoyed, he was out of luck, for there were still enough witnesses in the room who remembered him chasing after the yellow ball, just to prove that he was the fastest of the wolves present.

"Oh, really?" Rory turned to him with an amused smile, to which Michael responded with a roll of his eyes.

Evan barely listened to the rest of their conversation, too busy running away from his friend, but eventually, he got tired of it, and instead of dodging her again, he jumped over her and made his way to his mate's lap. And Ryan, as usual, welcomed him with open arms.