Chapter 13: Will You?

Under the morning sun, Agape and Lucious strolled through the camp, discussing plans to dispatch individuals to Verdant's Fortress. Agape revealed his intention to send Seraph there to reunite with her brother. Their conversation led them to Aric's modestly assembled tent, prompting Lucious to inquire about the young prince.

"And what about Aric?" Lucious questioned. Agape paused, explaining that unless Aric improved his behavior, there might be no reason for him to remain and fight. He suggested it might be in Aric's best interest for protection.

Lucious acknowledged Aric's progress in training, but Agape, with a solemn expression, remarked, "If Aric can't learn to control his emotions, prince or not, he will never be a king of Celestia."

Overhearing the conversation, Aric emerged from his tent, his thoughts reflecting the complexity of his character. Lucious greeted him, suggesting they discuss plans for their arrival at Meadowshore instead of training that day. Agape, interrupted by Aric, confirmed that he was to be sent to the fortress with Seraph, to which Aric responded with a resigned acceptance, claiming he expected nothing more.

Surprised, Lucious questioned Aric's apparent agreement, and Aric replied, asserting his identity as nothing more than a peasant boy, questioning Agape's apparent disdain for him. Agape refuted the notion, denying any hatred. In frustration, Aric stormed off.

Agape, watching Aric leave, sighed, "Well, that confirms it. I'll make the plans tomorrow; first, I need to figure out who is and isn't going."

As Agape considered the roster, his attention was drawn to one of his seasoned soldiers passing by. "Hold on a moment," Agape called out, intercepting the soldier with a friendly smile.

The soldier saluted. "Your majesty."

Agape returned the salute. "No need for formalities, my friend. I was thinking, with all you've done for Celestia, how about I station you at Verdant's Fortress? You'll have accommodations fit for a king, all on me."

The soldier's eyes widened in surprise. "Your generosity is unmatched, but my place is here, fighting for our land. That's where my heart belongs."

Agape nodded, respecting the soldier's dedication. "I appreciate your commitment. Thank you for your service, truly."

The soldier saluted again, "Thank you, Your Majesty," and walked away with a sense of pride in his step.

As the man walked away, Lucious excused himself to seek out Aric, Agape found himself standing alone in the tranquil embrace of nature. The distant murmur of the wind through the trees accompanied the quiet rustle of leaves underfoot. The sun cast its gentle glow, creating a serene atmosphere.

Surrounded by the majestic panorama of the mountain view, Agape experienced a fleeting moment of tranquility. The distant peaks stood as silent sentinels against the canvas of the sky, and the stillness of the air lent an air of reverence to the scene.

In this solitary respite, Agape's thoughts wandered, carried by the soft whispers of nature. The serenity of the moment was almost tangible, a balm to the tumultuous events that often consumed his days. Just as he began to lose himself in the quietude, a familiar presence interrupted his solitude.

Approaching with quiet grace, Seraph's presence added a delicate harmony to the natural symphony around them. The two figures stood, framed against the breathtaking backdrop, a testament to the beauty that could be found even in the midst of chaos.

Seraph cautiously approached Agape, sensing a weight in the air. The events of the night before lingered between them, unspoken but felt. She hesitated, unsure if he even remembered the tearful revelation. To her surprise, Agape smiled, as if nothing was troubling him.