[56] last day on earth

Start from the beginning

The RV began to slow and Rick and JJ walked to the front of it where they could see out the windows.

"What?"

"Enemy close."

A group of the saviors had blocked the road, holding a man hostage.

"We doing this?" Abraham questioned.

"No." Rick opened the door, followed by the others.

One of the men spoke up, "He's someone who was with a whole lot of someones who didn't listen."

"We can make a deal. Right here, right now." Rick held his arms up to show that he wasn't trying to be a threat...yet.

"That's right, we can. Give us all your stuff. We'll probably have to kill one of you. That's just the way it is, but then we can start moving forward on business. All you have to do is listen."

Rick smirked, "Yeah...that deal's not gonna work for us." He lowered his hands, "fact is, I was about to ask for all of your stuff, only I'm think I don't have to kill any of you. Any more of you."

One of the men stepped forward, shaking a can of spray paint and painting an X across the man they were holding hostage.

"Sorry, my deal is the only deal. We don't negotiate."

Rick motioned for the rest to file back into the RV. "Me and my people are leaving."

The man waved, "okay, friend. Plenty of ways to get to where you're going."

"You want to make today your last day on earth?" Rick called out just as he was about to get onto the RV.

"No, but that is a good thing to bring up. Think about it. What if it's the last day on earth for you? For someone you love? What if that's true? Maybe you should be extra nice to the people in that RV, 'cause you never know..." He snapped his fingers loudly, "Just like that. Be kind to each other. Like you said...like it was your last day on Earth."

"You do the same."

♮♮♮
[JJ]

I sat in the back with Maggie until the RV came to a stop again. Abraham slowly turned around as the saviors shot aimlessly into the air.

Then, we stopped for a third time and I joined the others in the front of the RV. It wasn't men blocking the road this time, it was walkers. A chain of them.

"We can go through it. We can't risk the RV. Stay behind the wheel in case something happens." Rick told Abraham as the rest of us carefully examined the set up.

"Putting together a red rover like that takes people. A lot of 'em." Eugene commented.

"Come on, we have to do this." I urged, knowing that Maggie was getting worse by the minute.

"JJ." Rick stopped me, pointing out, "That's Daryl's."

It was two bolts through the chest of one of the walkers. "And that's Michonne's." Sasha realized another walker.

As we were about to end the walkers, we started to be shot at. Rick cut through the line of walkers as the rest of us fired into the trees, trying to guess where the saviors were.

After making it back to the RV and continuing on our way, I went back to check on Maggie, who had luckily fallen asleep, but her face was pouring sweat.

I walked back to the front, "She's burning up."

"Rick." Abraham called loudly.

It was another blockade of saviors.