"I said, she doesn't want to be found."

"You knew she left?"

"She wrote me a note too."

"Why the hell didn't you say anything?" 

"Because, again, she doesn't want to be found." 

"Shit." Rick huffed. "Tell Carl I'll be back soon. No one else leaves. Everyone be ready for a fight."

♮♮♮
[JJ]

I stayed on watch with Abraham, sitting in silence for most of the time. When Rick returned, I opened the gate for him. 

"Morgan's still out there looking." Rick looked around. "Is Michonne here?

I shook my head, "They're all still out there." I looked out at the road, hoping that they would return soon. I was angry, but all I wanted was for them to be okay. For Daryl to be okay.

"Are you two afraid...to go back to it?" Abraham spoke loudly, "To let somebody close?"

My brother looked up to him, nodding, "yeah."

"Me too. But now...I think I'm much more ready to tear the world a brand new asshole."

The three of us lightly laughed. 

"They'll be back." I continued to look out, "Any second." 

"Why don't you take a break? I'll take over." Rick offered. 

I was tired of being on my feet all day, but I didn't want to leave the gate. Not with them still out there. 

"Don't worry. I'll shout when they get back." My brother nudged me. 

I nodded, "Rick, I'm sorry I didn't tell you about Carol. It's just- the things in that note...made me realize maybe I should've done that. If it were me, I wouldn't want anyone coming after me either."

"No, no." He disagreed. "Carol has her own ways. When we find her, we'll work it all out."

"Yeah, maybe so."

♮♮♮

As I was walking back towards the house, Enid stopped me. "Hey, Maggie said she wants to talk to you."

I looked in confusion, but walked with Enid to the house that Maggie and Glenn had been holding up in. 

"Enid said you wanted to talk."

"Are they back yet?" Was the first question Maggie hit me with.

I shook my head, "No, but, uh, Rick said he'd shout the second they got back."

Maggie understood, grinning, "I need your help with something." She pulled out a pair of scissors. "I'm thinking the sophomore summer cut."

I grinned, "Maggie, the only hair cutting experience I have is drunkenly cutting bangs at 2:00 am in my car." 

She cringed, "I remember."

Enid stepped forward, "I used to cut my dad's hair all the time. Maybe I can help."

Once Maggie agreed, Enid started to carefully cut Maggie's hair. I sat in the chair across from her, watching Enid work. 

Maggie tapped me with her boot, "what's bee with you today?"

I shrugged, not exactly wanting to tell Maggie the reason I was pissed. "Nothing, I'm good."

"I lived with you for three years, I can tell when you lie, JJ."

"Fine." I huffed, "Daryl pissed me off."

"Ah," Maggie smirked, nodding as if she understood. 

"We don't have to talk about this."

"No, no. What did you used to say, a crush was always the best distraction?"

"Yeah, well, that was garbage." I huffed, "Why did you let me say that? And better yet, why did you let me fall into that shit?"

"So, this is all my fault?" Maggie said in a light-hearted way. 

I scoffed, "I mean, technically..."

"You at least gotta tell me what happened if you're gonna blame me for it."

I rolled my eyes, "Long story, short, Daryl doesn't think that our relationship is worth it." 

"What?" Maggie expressed. 

"I know!" 

"He said, word for word, that your relationship isn't worth it?!"

I crossed my arms, "Basically." I shrugged, leaning my arms against the table to explain, "I mean, we were talking about how Denise never told Tara she loved her, and then, he started saying," I imitated Daryl, "well, what if that was you, that's worth it to you?"

"Okay, but he didn't say that your relationship isn't worth it?"

"That's literally what he said."

"JJ, it sounds like he was just frustrated."

"Frustrated enough to say our relationship wasn't worth it? Bull. And- get this, when we were at Hilltop, he said that shit wasn't settled enough to settle down."

Maggie stifled a laugh, "And you're all about settling down?"

"Maybe!" I defended, dramatically, "I mean, like, one day."

"Okay, well, it's not sounding like Daryl just doesn't want to be with you. This is all probably new to him."

"Maggie!" I jokingly scolded, "You're supposed to be on my side!"

Maggie grinned, "You're right, I'm sorry."

I looked over to Enid, who had a large smile across her face, "And what are you smiling about?"

Enid shrugged, "this feels normal. It's, like, something I used to do in middle school."

"You're right, JJ is very middle schooler-like." Maggie laughed.

"You both suck."

After a few seconds of silence, Enid handed Maggie the handheld mirror to show her her new hair. "I like it. But why?"

Maggie smiled at herself, "I have to keep going. And I don't want anything getting in my way."

"That style looks way better on you than second-grade JJ." I joked, noticing that Maggie seemed upset. "Whoa, I meant that as a good thing."

"Did I go too short? I mean, I only used to cut my dad's."

"No, it's not that." Maggie paused before doubling over in pain. 

"Maggie!" I put my hand on her shoulder. 

She cried in pain again before weakly moving to the floor. "Maggie!" Enid shouted as I kneeled in front of her. 

"Enid, go get my brother! Go get Rick!" I shouted. "Now! Hurry!" She nodded and ran out the door. 

Maggie held her stomach in pain as I comforted her, "You're gonna be okay. It's gonna be okay. You're gonna be fine."

a/n: the next few chapters....this is your warning to prepare yourself