Chapter 16 - Audrey's POV

Audrey POV ˖*

__________

"Jane!!!", I panicked to her condition before picking her head up from the ground. She was unconscious and bleeding in the middle of nowhere.

"Janie, stay with me, stay with me!", I cried my eyes out. No, no, no, no, no.

"Jane's... Jane's been taken to the hospital, she's been found. And-And sh-she's...bleeding, her head is bleeding", I called my husband twenty minutes later in the hospital.

"Janie, please. Oh-  she's losing a lot of blood!", I chocked on my tears forgetting to hang up. Jace did instead when he heard me through the phone.

No one else, but me was here with her at the moment. She called me so many times while I was at work, but I didn't answer. And I regret it so much  every second. No one was found at the scene. She was just left there to die. She needed me, unconscious or not, I wasn't going to leave her alone. I wasn't going to let her out of my sight.

"You can wait here, ma'am", the nurses took her away in the stretcher. I fought to stay with her, but they shut the door in my face. I scratched my hair in frustration.

Janie you can't leave like this. No.

__________

"No", I deadpan

"Why not?", Jane asked again another question I couldn't answer.

"I'll answer anything else"

I didn't want us to look back to the past ever again. I wanted her to move on and live in the present, "It's time you move on from your past, Janie. It's a bitter one, and I don't like how you keep wanting to hear those painful stories in your life"

"I understand", she answered unexpectedly. I thought she would walk out on me like how she's been doing recently.

"You can ask me anything, except for what happened six months ago or... about the book"

"I'm going to bed", she cut the conversation short.

"A-Alright. Good night"
She didn't answer, but at the same time she didn't look upset. This time around I couldn't tell if she had something on her mind about anything I said or she was genuinely going to bed.

I exhaled a long breath before turning to the fast asleep Jace beside me, "Babe, it's late, let's go to bed now", I whispered as I turned off the TV. I tell Jace everything, but I didn't find it necessary telling him the conversation I just had with Janie.

"What? Oh...yup, okay", I startled him a bit and he instantly got up. While rubbing his eyes, he dragged himself upstairs.

I looked at the time on the clock on the wall.
12:36am

I sat back down on the couch and rested my chin on my interlocked fingers to ponder. I am back to how I was six months ago again because of the same person. But this time Jane is with me, perfectly healthy and fit.

But she's changed.

Her identity is Jane Arnold. But is she my Janie?

Janie talks a lot, she's open, she speaks her mind.
But this Jane is reserved and she thinks before talking.