Chapter 11 - Ruby's POV

Ruby Blair POV

After hesitation for a minute, I opened the door to the house, mom being the first person I see. As always, she is waiting for me on her couch. I took off my jacket and hung it up. I threw off my shoes right after and got inside.

She looked mad, but I did not bother, so I passed by her to go to my room.

"Ruby Blair Thompson!", she said my full name letting me know she was mad. She was always mad when things didn't go her way, "If you don't turn around and come back here this instant-"

"I'm here", I walked lazily over to her and sat down.

"What was that you did back there while I was talking to you?", She referred to the one sided conversation we had in the cafe. She knew I would not talk back in public, but she knows as well it takes a lot to get me to pay attention when we are outside. Yes, I am a difficult child, but I was never like this. She made me like this.

"I think we both know what that was"

"Blair, how long are you going to be so stubborn? I know what is right for you and what is best for all of us"

"Here we go again, mom. Clearly the best you can think is not reasonable at all. You think I'm stupid? I know you're planning to get a divorce with dad once you send me away", I argued first.

"Nothing like that is going to happen"

"You just don't want me here to witness it and you act like everything is fine!"

"Blair, do not speak to me with that tone of voice"

"What I'm saying is...", I got rid of the tone the best I could, "I don't want this family to fall apart. And you, mom, don't want to admit you are wrong in this. You were always wrong in this! You never paid attention to dad and I. You chose your damn company over your family. You are at fault here, now you just wanna ruin everything!", I stood up again to leave because I always felt suffocated around her.
"You are so good at playing the villain in disguise of a caring mother. Bravo", I applauded with a pressed smile, "You tried three years ago. You could have won, but thanks to Jane, you didn't. I'm sure I can do the same on my own this time"

I left her sight quick and stormed to my room. I shut the door and leaned on it as soon as I did.

Finally, I could let out the tears I had been holding for hours now. I slumped to the ground in frustration. I was weak. I needed somewhere warm to lean on. I couldn't think of anywhere or anyone in this house who was warm. I get colder whenever I'm in this house and around my mom. I don't feel the love, the warmth, nothing. All this, the house, the clothes, they are all just a mask, so people think my life is pretty. Mom might fake it, but I won't fake it with her. I won't smile if I'm not happy.

Jane is the only warm person who comes to mind everytime for three years now. I finally saw her again after such a long time. I wanted to hug her so bad, but the promise she broke held me away. She seemed to have recognized me too when she saw me, but yet she says she forgot everything. She did not even remember my name.
I wanted to cry even more when I saw her face. It was after dealing with my mom and dad again, I ran away. Never would I have thought I would see her again like that.

I'm not on any of my parents' side. They are both contributing to the destruction of this family and I'm in the middle trying to hold it together. I know if mom is successful in sending me away, the second I leave, it's over.

They could just not mind me, and go ahead with the divorce, but I did not want to be in a position to choose. My dad didn't want that either. He might have failed as a husband, but not a father. I did not hold any grudges toward him for what he did earlier this morning, because he was just under the influence of alcohol at the time.

I found the strength to get up from the ground and reached for the ointment in my drawer. I sat at my dresser and pushed my hair behind me to expose the bruises I was hiding all day.

Gosh, that doesn't look too good.

I scanned the bruises on my neck and shoulder before applying the cream gently using my finger on the places I got hit. I was lucky to have had my hair down this morning. Jane could have seen them and bombarded me with a lot of questions. She is very good at that from what I remember.

A part of me wanted her to bombard me with them. I wanted to tell her everything. I wanted her to take me out of this hell once again. I wanted to look forward to seeing her again like it was back then. I want my best friend back. But again, that is just what a part of me wants. Not all of me.

I flinched in pain before I stopped dabbing the ointment on the bruise.

I looked to my reflection to notice tears flowing down my face.
"Looks like I'm catching onto Jane's new found habit", I wiped the tears with the back of my hand to avoid getting ointment in my eyes, I chuckled, "This is annoying", I sniffled.

I locked my doors for no disturbance because I knew the woman would barge in here whenever she got the energy to argue again. I laid my head down on my bed and stared at the ceiling. Am I the only child who goes through this? I doubt. Though I don't know anyone else who does.

Besides Jane. She looks fine and moved on now though. She still goes to the library, she hangs out with her friends. She's happy. She deserves it. She had gone through a lot and I don't want her to be stuck in the past again.

It counts as a happy ending, right? If one of us has it.

I shut my eyes to rest. It was still after noon, and I did not consider this a nap. Sleeping was the only time I did not feel pain. So I did a lot of it. I had a lot of it, so whenever I woke up, I would remember everything again.

So I would sleep again. I didn't have an alternative. This would have to do for now.

~

That will be the end of this chapter, but not the end of hearing more about Ruby Blair's not so pretty life.

Ruby might not be a faker, but why won't she cry to her heart's content to Jane?
It might throw Jane off right now, though.

It's funny how they both think each other's lives are pretty right now. I'm sorry Ruby, but there's no happy ending just yet.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens in the following chapters because I have a lot more in store for this book.

Watch as Jane/Luna's story unfolds. Maybe for the better.

Don't forget to vote if you enjoyed the chapter♡

@LaeLae201

XOXO