Chapter 09

I can't find the book. Where did it go?

I rushed back downstairs and looked at Audrey putting away the dishes in the cupboards, "Did you happen to see my book? The thick one I brought in yesterday"

"Conriland?"

"Yes, Conriland"

"Adrian took it back this morning. Since you know each other I thought you talked about it"

"Adrian? Who's Adrian?", I was confused.

"The tall guy you usually read the same books with. The one with the blue highlights in his hair", she described him for me to remember.

"The library guy? Why did you give it? It's only been twenty minutes since I left the house, when did this happen? I had not intended giving it yet"

"Sorry", she shrugged looking a little guilty, "You have lots more books you can read. You didn't stack that book shelf for nothing"

It's fine. It's fine. I can just see him again and ask for the book back. It's no Audrey's fault. She didn't know.

The way I want to get angry right now. Not only at her. Maybe because I needed to vent so bad, and the book is gone to add to the fire.

✧*✯˖。

"Adrian"

"You remember my name?"

"I found out by accident"

"Ohh", He nodded, "You called me to meet me?", He mentioned our current meet up in the cafe. I found his number in my phone and called him all by myself. He spoke making me gasp internally. It had actually worked. I told him on the phone that I'd like to see him. The cafe I went to with my friends was the only suitable location I knew well.

"You have my book. Audrey told me"

"Yeah, uh...I needed it...for something", his eyes looked the other direction breaking eye contact with me. Bad idea, because I can tell if a person lying to me just by body language.

"You needed it?", He nodded, "For what?", I asked curiously

"Just, something. I wanted to read it", he nodded to his own reply.

"You're not very good at lying, you know that?"

"You've told me that before", he stopped rubbing the back of his head and put his hand back down.

"Then why do you still try to lie to me? Tell me honestly, what do you need the book for?"

"Um... Ms Claire told me to pick it up", he scratched the back of his neck again. He probably wasn't supposed to tell me that, "I actually wasn't supposed to even tell you that"

Thought so.

"Audrey told you? Why?"

"Don't be mad at Ms Claire. She was just worried that the book would take over you like before. It was all you talked about for, uh...a while. Seeing how you are concerned by the book again, even I feel history will repeat itself"

"Great, so if I said I'm the daughter of the second wife of King Alexander, you would say I'm crazy", I stated.

"I'd say you are way more than just crazy", he laughed as if it was a joke he heard.

At the corner of my eye, I saw who I wasn't expecting to see here right now. Ruby. My full attention went to her as I watched her sit down all the way across the cafe. She wasn't alone though, but with a woman around her thirties I didn't recognize. Ruby was more dressed up again in a mini pencil skirt, top and oversized denim jacket and her hair was let loose to fall down her back.