The duke gasped. "What a cruel thing to say."

"I will make amends with the fae."

I looked at Kahuna, my eyes wide. "P-pardon?"

She nodded, determination in her eyes. "Yes. I don't care. I will make amends with the fae in place of my mother. I will be a general whom accepts all—including the fae."

That's what I wished to hear and yet, it made my heart ache. "Kahuna, I wished you'd change because you wanted to. Not because I wished you to. I wished you'd care."

"Perhaps I will one day," she cried, slamming her fist against the table. "I have waited years for uncle to return! I have waited years to meet his daughter! To fight for her, to be her older sister, to be her guide. To be your guide! You cannot leave me!"

Silence.

Orris stood. "Lady Kahuna, that's enough."

She looked at him, her eyes glossy. "N-no...I--"

He smiled at her. It was a kind smile, one full of sorrow. I looked between them carefully and realized there was something between them. Something warm and protective. It made me miss Oberon. It made me miss his warmth, and his gentleness.

"That's enough," he repeated.

She hung her head. "Forgive me Ara. I spoke out of line."

I looked back to her. "I cannot stay."

"I-I know."

The dinning hall door swung open and Aldrich stepped through. "Ara! Darling cousin Lory has arrived for your final fitting—by the gods—Huna are you crying?"

"I am not!" She snarled, flicking her hand towards him.

He let out an oof as a root slammed into his stomach, pinning him to the wall. My eyes widened as she then hurried from the room with Orris on her heels. Aldrich and I shared a look as he wiggled free of the root.

"What is her problem?" he groaned.

I shook my head, the lump in my throat preventing any explanation.

"Let us not have Lory waiting."

It seemed that Lory Braxton did not in fact mind waiting because the designer had turned the dressing room on the second floor into their own personal show room. There was fabrics and dresses thrown all around the room along with extravagant shoes and hats to match. I could barely spot the floor or the furniture under all the matter.

"Welcome my dear girl!" Lory greeted me.

I did a curtsy. "Good afternoon lory Braxton. You look well."

That was the truth—their hair was pulled back into an updo today, and they wore a pair of trousers along with a corset that was covered in beautiful gems and nothing underneath. I'd never seen a corset worn in such a manor, it was quite clever. Lory also wore ruby gloves along with a pair of ruby heels which matched wonderfully. They were truly a vision.

"Your highness, be a doll and go away," Lory chirped brightly.

Aldrich rolled his eyes before glancing at me. "I'll fetch you once dinner is ready."

"Dinner?" I repeated with confusion.

He nodded. "We should eat together as a family before you...before the dance."

I sighed. That was only today and tomorrow then as the dance would occur the day after tomorrow. A sudden wave of nervousness filled me. Was I prepared to leave in such a short time? I had been spending all my time training so that I forgot to take steps to prepare myself accordingly. The plan was to venture to Arianne but what then? I didn't know if the invitation from the Waerburh still stood and even if so, I didn't know how long the trip would take.

"My dove," Lory's voice brought my attention back to the time and place. "Are you ready for your fitting? I've made the appropriate changes."

Ah, I must have been so lost in thought I hadn't noticed Aldrich leave.

I nodded before pausing. "Could I make one more request?"

"Of course," Lory hummed, pulling the fabric of the gown to my body.

"I'll be taking a trip to Arianne soon, could you make me an outfit?"

"That's not a problem. When do you leave?"

"After the dance."

"So soon?" They gasped. "That's not much time."

My shoulders sagged. "I see."

They placed a warm hand on my shoulder. "It's not much time but it's not impossible. What are you travelling to Arianne for?"

My weight shifted from foot to foot. "I shall be seeking an audience with the royals."

"Ah. Then I shall make you two outfits. One for travel and one for such an audience."

I smiled. "You're kind to me. How can I repay you?"

They winked. "Allow Aldrich to repay me. He can certainly afford it."

A laugh left my lips and without a thought I slipped my current attire off until I stood in only my shift. Lory worked swiftly, pulling the fabric to my body. I let my mind wander once more, new worries plaguing me. I hadn't the slightest idea how to get to Arianne—all I knew was that it was north of here. I'd have to do some shopping today or tomorrow and prepare properly. My face burned and I felt foolish.

Had I gotten so used to being served?

"Dove, how does this feel?"

I turned to look in the large mirror a gasp flying from my lips. The gown...it was perfect. My eyes slid back to Lory, a bright smile on my face. They'd outdone themselves. The gown was wonderful and sure enough, it covered my scars. I looked back to the gown once more, my eyes absorbing it all. The gown was black with puffy silver sleeves and a beautiful silver underskirt. It had a large amount of silver chains and lace which made a cape down the back and twisted over my shoulders like that of roots. There was gems covering the front of the waist and despite the fabric which stopped at my breasts, the silver chains twisted up my neck like a gorget. It was breath taking.

"And, if you wish to reveal your scars you only need to focus your magic into the chains. They're special and imported right from Sophocles. The gown will change."

My smile could only grow. "That sounds expensive."

"For Aldrich definitely," They smirked.

"Thank you, Lory, for everything," I sighed, grasping their arm.

"You can thank me properly by allowing me to try these other fabrics on you. Like I said, you're the perfect model my dove. I shall take measurements then have custom forms made of your body for my shop, I feel after that dance, you'll become quite popular."

I bit my tongue, unsure how to feel about that.