Chapter 1 - Choices have consequences (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

"I know you had to work overtime many times lately, so I thought that I might be able to reach you around this time of the day. Or night, I guess." The obvious care in her voice seemed to have an immediate relaxing effect on him, helping him feel more at ease with sharing with her the question he was struggling with.

"You said, I know them very well?... Are they Michael and Jane?" He asked, pretty certain of his guess. "Hello, there!" The voice of his younger brother resounded in his ears, bringing a smile to his face as he used the classic reply. "Is that you General Kenobi?"

"Nope, it's Michael. But nice try!" The man continued, barely holding his laughter. Another female voice then resounded from his earbuds. "Hey, Mister Dork! It's your favorite sister here!" Chuckling slightly, Damian retorted. "Aren't you my ONLY sister, Jane?" A second of silence later, she replied. "I don't care! I'm your favorite and that's that."

Shaking his head in amused helplessness, he responded. "If you say so, sis." He could hear the three at the other end of the line laugh a bit before their mother lightly berated the other two. "Alright, you two! Quit messing around! I'm trying to talk to your brother here." The two then fell silent as she continued.

"You're still coming this weekend, sweetie, correct?" Thinking about her beach house in Florida, he felt greatly tempted. Apprehending the talk they would have, made him hesitate, though. "Of course, Mom. But I've been feeling a bit exhausted and I'd have to take the plane..."

His voice was however interrupted by his mother's. "Sweetie, don't lie to me. I made and raised you so I know when you're trying to run away from something. You're coming this weekend and that's final." Scratching his shaved chin absentmindedly, he could not help but have a wry thought. 'I knew this is how it would go...'

"Alright, Mom. I'll come. But please go easy on me. I've been feeling a bit down lately, so the last thing I need is more problems." The mature woman chuckled slightly before replying. "Of course, I know that. But I'm sure coming here with all of us will help you get through the phase you're currently going through."

"Sure, Mom. I think I need that. Scratch that, I'm sure I need that! My job is making me go crazy and I feel like I haven't been able to take a breather for a while now. Going to the beach and having fun with the three of you might be able to do the trick."

"I've always told you that going into accounting would be the death of you, bro. You should've followed your passions in high school instead of doing that." Michael commented. Letting out a sigh, Damian retorted wryly. "You say that as if it's an easy thing to do. I had many things I wanted to do back then, but could they help make enough money to put food on the table?"

His brother's following words cut through all the excuses he told himself for all those years, making him speechless. "Have you ever tried, though?" A few moments later, Damian replied. "Touché." "See? With how talented you are, I'm sure you'd succeed if you put your mind to it."

"Mike is right, Damian. Don't imitate Dad. He's done exactly the same thing that you're doing and see where that got him? Sad and selfish. I don't want you to be like him." Jane's tone turned caring, making his heartache at the emotions lacing it. Taking a deep breath to rein in the tears that threatened to fall, he stated.