5

Alice

"Is she going to be okay?"

I approached the lady veterinarian, her stethoscope delicately pressed against Bella's chest, inquisitively seeking the rhythm of her beating heart.

It was nothing short of a miraculous encounter to stumble upon a veterinarian clinic that remained operational during these ungodly hours, for in my former neighborhood, such establishments would shutter their doors prematurely. Bella was ensnared in a grievous affliction, the genesis of which eluded my comprehension entirely.

"Well," the veterinarian said as she removed the stethoscope from her ears. "As far as I can tell, she's improving, but I'm unable to pinpoint the cause of her condition. However, it appears that the cause of this temporary paralysis was shock or stress, therefore I recommend that you take special care of her and monitor her every movement since if this persists, she may have chronic leg paralysis."

The veterinarian elucidated while hastily jotting down observations on her clipboard. Swiftly procuring a sheet of paper, she extended it to me.

"Make sure to follow these tips and I'm sure she will be fine," she spoke, smiling slightly. I thanked her and strolled out of the veterinarian clinic with Bella.

Bella's gait had diminished considerably, yet I found solace in her ability to maintain an upright posture. Her condition was precarious, rendering her incapable of independent standing, necessitating my swift conveyance to the vehicle. The events that unfolded within the confines of the room during my absence remain a mystery, their potential to induce horror and distress, resulting in Bella's descent into this grave state, unfathomable.

As the first rays of dawn gently caressed the horizon, I emerged from the confines of the veterinary clinic, only to find the streets eerily devoid of life. The celestial spectacle of the sun, its fiery hue tinged with a reddish-orange glow, captivated my senses, offering solace and reassurance. Entranced, I came to a standstill, my eyes fixated upon the majestic expanse of wheat fields, now bathed in the sun's luminous embrace, their golden sheen radiating brilliance. A crisp zephyr whispered in the air, coaxing me to inhale deeply as if purifying my very core. It was then that I cast my gaze upon Bella who too seemed to revel in the enchanting coolness of the weather. A genuine smile of gratitude adorned my countenance, as I rejoiced in her newfound well-being.

After a brief interlude, I resolved to accompany Bella and embark upon our journey within my automobile. The apprehension of potential malefactors, who typically seek their prey during these nocturnal hours, weighed heavily upon my consciousness. I advanced towards my crimson Hyundai, gracefully positioned in proximity to the veterinary establishment, and proceeded to unlatch the rear passenger door. Assisting Bella to ascend into her designated space, I cautiously navigated myself into the driver's perch. With a deft maneuver, I inserted the key into the ignition and, after securing the door, initiated the mechanical orchestration. As the engine roared to life, I gently applied pressure to the gas pedal, propelling us into the abyss of the desolate thoroughfare.

My thoughts were consumed by an array of unaddressed inquiries. What transpired when Bella was left unaccompanied? Could it be that she stumbled and tumbled inadvertently from the bed, or perhaps she inadvertently collided with the wooden chair, inflicting injury upon herself? Despite the implausibility of both suppositions, I persisted in convincing myself that the truth must lie within one of these two hypotheses. Yet, no matter how fervently I attempted to persuade myself that Bella had unwittingly harmed herself, a distant voice cautioned me that the matter at hand was far graver, and I remained oblivious to its nature.