1

20th April, 2023.

Alice

The journey to my forthcoming house proved interminable, leaving me in a state of feverish anticipation.

The forthcoming house I am to inhabit has gained notoriety as one of the most haunted dwellings in the state of California. Countless reports have emerged, detailing the encounters of former occupants who claim to have been subjected to inexplicable otherworldly phenomena and glimpses of enigmatic apparitions, particularly during nocturnal hours. Furthermore, they assert hearing eerie, unfamiliar voices and whispers emanating from a specific chamber. These individuals also recount instances of nocturnal knocks at the entrance, only to find no soul upon answering. In addition to the disquieting sounds, they maintain that the sounds of children's laughter followed by desperate pleas for aid, resonating with such intensity as to rouse them from slumber, have permeated their house. In light of these accounts, a team of astute investigators embarked upon a quest to unravel the enigma shrouding the premises, diligently seeking answers to these unexplained phenomena. Yet, despite months of meticulous scrutiny, the detectives remained confounded, unable to unearth the cause behind these unfathomable occurrences. Nevertheless, a significant portion of the populace subscribed to the belief that the dwelling was indeed haunted, attributing these phenomena to the ethereal realm. Conversely, dissenting voices arose, dismissing the notion of ghosts as myths and asserting that the experiences recounted were merely hallucinatory figments, concocted and shared for the sake of notoriety.

In my personal estimation, the proliferation of these rumors appears to be naught but a fabric of fanciful falsehoods. Surely, had the abode been genuinely plagued by spectral apparitions, the astute detectives who previously traversed its halls would have encountered comparable phenomena. Nevertheless, my resolve to procure this dwelling remains steadfast and unwavering. The realization of my long-standing aspiration to possess a residence solely for my own accord is nigh, and I am resolute in my refusal to allow these ludicrous and feeble tales to mar this auspicious occasion.

Lost in contemplation, my mind wandered to the idyllic vision of my life in my new house when my phone emitted a resolute vibration. Glancing at the device, I discerned the caller's identity. It was none other than my best friend, Leah, persistently reaching out to me for what seemed like the umpteenth occasion today. Despite my attempts to assuage her concerns, Leah remained disquieted by the notion of my relocation to a dwelling renowned for its turbulent history, which had purportedly plagued countless individuals. Unwavering in her skepticism regarding apparitions, Leah's distress was palpable upon learning that I would be residing there unaccompanied, save for the presence of my dog, Bella. Frankly, I find Bella's unwavering fidelity far surpasses any human companionship.

As I lifted the receiver to my ear, Leah's voice, filled with concern, resonated through the telephone.

"Alice, are you okay?" In a state of distress, she inquired with a sense of urgency.

"Leah, don't worry, I'm okay," I provided her with assurance, to which she responded with a sigh. Then, she spoke once more, her voice now imbued with a greater sense of tranquility, yet the lingering concern remained palpable within her words.

"It's just that...you know....the rumors are scaring me," Leah's words faltered, stumbling out of her mouth. "I don't want to lose another friend."

Her words stirred a profound ache within my heart as a torrent of unpleasant memories inundated my consciousness. It was unmistakable that she spoke of our best friend, Jenny, and this realization prompted a solitary tear to cascade down my visage. Leah, Jenny, and I formed an inseparable triad, so tightly knit that strangers often mistook us for siblings. We shared every facet of our lives, experiencing bouts of merriment and sorrow in unison. The day we received the grievous news of Jenny's untimely demise remains etched in my mind, the anguish it kindled within me indelible. I stubbornly clung to disbelief, unwilling to accept that I had lost my dearest friend in the blink of an eye, bereft of the opportunity to bid her farewell. The notion that Jenny had chosen to extinguish her own existence proved unfathomable; her countenance perpetually adorned with a radiant smile, she exuded an unwavering optimism. Vividly do I recall her effusive discourse about her aspirations of completing her education and pursuing a vocation in law. The heartrending reality remains that she was denied the chance to actualize her dreams, her life tragically truncated when it teemed with youthful promise. The inexorable tragedy lies in the premature termination of a life brimming with potential, an irreplaceable loss that rends the very fabric of my soul.