Episode #3 : Rivals Of Arrogance

SCENE 1

Abhimanyu walked into his cabin after the long but successfull surgery. He sank in the chair with a greatful sigh and took out an icepack, holding over his nape while simultaneously opening a patient's file to study.

Knock. Knock.

An intern held the door ajar and asked permission to enter.

“Come in.” - Abhimanyu replied.

“Sir please check health minister's daughter else Harshwardhan Sir won't let me complete my internship. Nor will give me the certificate.” - the intern expressed his grave worry.

Abhimanyu clenched his teeth and threw the icepack on the table. “Firing gun using kids' shoulders now.” - he muttered under his breath, furious. “Fine. You go, I'm coming.” - he said aloud to the intern who looked relieved to hear that.

“Thank you Sir.” - the intern said with a smile and hurried out.

Abhimanyu slammed the file on the table and stood up. “I will give such a medicine to that health Minister's daughter that she will see!” - he grumbled to himself.

Picking up his coat, he walked out the cabin.

~

SCENE 2

“...sure Cardiac Pathology is gonna have the most questions in the exam.”

Suman and Pallavi were conversing as they descended the staircase to second floor after attending their class. The bell for recess ringing just then.

“How are you so sure ?” - Pallavi asked worriedly.

“Because it is the only topic which is giving me headaches. And since childhood, it is mandatory for that topic to appear on the examination paper which I am having trouble with.” - Suman answered, grumbling.

Pallavi burst out laughing, causing Suman to glare at her.

“Glad you find it funny.” - Suman said dryly. “But I am worried. I had thought to ask for some tips on the topic from Professor Rasai but he got absent today.”

Pallavi sobered up at once. “I heard some students saying that his cold is not the usual cold but he is infected by the virus.”

Suman grimaced. The change of weather this year brought Respiratory Syncytial Virus with itself. Although, it was a common and contagious virus of the respiratory tract, there had not been many cases in the past years in Banaras. But this year, so many cases were reported from infants to adults to the elderly. The immunocompromised people were even having it change into pneumonia and a death of a 70 years old had been reported as well due to the same.

“I hope he gets well.” - Suman prayed softly.

“I hope too.” - Pallavi said sadly. “The number of cases since last week have just skyrocketed. Professor Sanyal said the hospital management is planning a medical camp.”

“Yeah I heard. If a camp is held, I'll volunteer for-” - Suman stopped short as they walked out the corridor and spotted many students huddled together outside the chemistry laboratory. They made their way through and found students inside as well. Many faces were of the seniors which Suman easily recognized while some looked to be of the freshers as the guy whom she had helped in the morning was also among them. His head was bent down like his badge mates and within seconds she realized what was all the ruckus about.

She marched towards the seniors, her blood boiling, but outwardly, she was smiling. “Hey... what's going on ?”

The seniors straightened up at her sight and she resisted the urge to roll eyes. Even though they were badge mates, she knew their overtly respect towards her was because of their notorious, ill-mannered and womanizer gang leader.