Episode #2 : The Complicated Families

SCENE 1

Birla Hospital & Medical Institute. The pride of Udaipur being the most prestigious college of the state and a hospital with a team of extraordinary doctors. Walking through the entrance door and crossing the reception, a hallway needed to be taken which led towards the doctors cabin, ICU rooms, operation theaters, etcetera etcetera. In the same hallway, two men were stood namely Dr. Anand Birla and Dr. Harshwardhan Birla. Anand Birla was a man in his early 50s whereas Harshwardhan looked to be in late 40s. Both seemed to be having a serious discussion.

A boy around ten was present there as well with his mother. The hospital staff was trying to convince him but he was adamant and refused to undergo the surgery.

“...I'm telling you Bhaisaab. He is not Abhimanyu's patient anymore. Just give him anesthesia, perform the operation and be done.” - Harshwardhan advised, looking highly irritated by the young patient's tantrums.

Just then, a guy walked down the hallway, disguised as the angel of death. His face was hidden behind the mask while he leisurely rolled the stick in his right hand.

“Where's the boy ?” - he called out in a heavy voice. “I have come to take that coward boy!” - he looked here and there before settling his masked gaze on the little boy. “Are you the one ?”

The boy hid behind his mother and poked his head out just enough to look at the angel of death.

“Do you want to come with me ?” - he asked.

The boy shook his head in denial.

“If you defeat me and go with them, then I will not take you.” - he said, swinging his stick like a pendulum.

The boy came out and threw punches at the angel of death. The disguised guy pretended to be hurt and fell on the floor. The little boy smiled in victory.

“You have got another lifeline. Go for the operation now.” - the angel of death said in a painful voice.

The boy asked his mother to call the doctor. The mother smiled and took her son along. The disguised guy got up from the floor and removed his mask.

Harshwardhan gave an impatient look to his son. “Abhimanyu-”

“Patient's will is necessary for a complicated surgery, no matter the age.” - Abhimanyu said with equal impatience as his father. “Prepare him, I will get ready and come.” - he made to move ahead when Harshwardhan said :

“But Ruby is waiting for you. She took the appointment a week prior.”

Abhimanyu closed his eyes. Not wanting to lose his calm at the mention of that irritating girl. “First, I didn't assign her any appointment.” - he looked at his father meaningfully who had the decency to avert his eyes. “Second, anyone can give her acidity medicines.”

“She is the daughter of the health minister!”

Abhimanyu pretended to not have heard. “I have an important surgery for which I'm getting late.” - he said and left.

Harshwardhan gaped after him. “See Bhaisaab ? Did you see his attitude ? Please make him understand how important it is for the health minister to remain happy with the hospital!” - he requested Anand.

Anand smiled and shook his head. “Abhimanyu did right Harsh. Every patient is treated and handled differently. I am proud of him.”

“You should use Abhimanyu's angel of death trick for PR.” - a lady doctor, Mahima Birla, joked as she came to stand with them.

Harshwardhan scoffed at his sister-in-law. “This hospital is on top because of my PR skills.”

Mahima rolled her eyes. “It is on top because of its top surgeons.” - she said, hinting towards herself with a slight, proud smile on face.