Chapter 6: This isn't about what I want

October 18, 2023 

It's been 2 weeks.

2 weeks.
2 weeks.
2 weeks.

Exactly 2 weeks ago, my family tried to throw me into an arranged marriage with a stranger.

Nobody at the table called it that, but that's what it was, an arranged fucking marriage rooted in selfish motivations. Money and Power.

I wish I could say I never expected something like this from my parents, but I can't.

My Dad would do anything for a good business deal, and my mother... God, she would throw me down the altar right now if it meant she could get some new hair extensions.

But it seems like my family was just as surprised when Roma mentioned my name and rejected Arianna.

I had no idea about this arrangement that was made years ago, but I guess my parents told Arianna about it and had already prepared her for it.

It seemed like Arianna wanted this arrangement, this marriage.

But look at fate now. Everything is fucked. 

Why would Roma reject Arianna? Why want me? I'm still so confused and have so many questions, but I'm too afraid to contact my family, too afraid to confront them.

The look on Arianna's face still haunts me. She never liked me, but now, any chance of working on our relationship is gone. 

Does she think I knew this was going to happen? 

Since the dinner with my family, I've basically locked myself in my apartment, besides getting mail and walking to the corner store down the street to get eggs and bread. I've been giving away my shifts at the restaurant, having no energy to serve arrogant, rich pricks. I've only been teaching piano lessons from my apartment.  

Sitting at the piano now, I stare blankly at sheets of music. I wish I could stop overthinking, but I can't. Every second, a new question arises. Every second, I think about Maxwell's words. Every second, I wish I could go back in time and smash a bottle of wine over his head. 

"Fuckin slum" 

I blink away the memory. 

It was obvious Maxwell was just as surprised as everyone else from his reaction.

Asshole.

It's even more obvious that he's not a fan of me. I mean, I did tell his father to go fuck himself in front of his entire family...so I guess he said it to defend his father. 

I'm really hoping Maxwell talks some sense into his mom and convinces her to accept Arianna because, after his reaction, there is no way he wants to marry me, and vice versa. 

He probably agreed to the marriage with Arianna long ago because Maxwell and Arianna had zero reactions when Mr. Caddel mentioned the arrangement. All hell broke loose when Roma mentioned my name.

"Fuckin slum" 

I close my eyes and shake away the harsh memory of Maxwell's words. If only he knew the real reasons why I left my family. Why I rather live like a fuckin slum then spend one more second under the Amery Empire

Maxwell would be perfect for someone like Arianna. They would be a powerful couple and a beautiful one too. Observing their interactions, it's obvious that they know each other.

"See! They're perfect for each other!"

Roma is one crazy fuckin woman if she thinks Maxwell and I could work. I have no idea why Roma would pick me. We met once, maybe twice, when I was young. She doesn't know me, I'm a complete stranger to her. I have one memory of Roma, and I only remember parts of it. I taught her a song on the piano at one of my Dad's galas. I remember her being kind.