Chapter Fourteen

XIV: Facing Our Past

Lola

"GOD FUCKING DAMN IT! YOU DIDN'T KILL HER! YOU FUCKING FAILED! UNLIKE ASH, YOU FAILED YOUR ASSIGNMENT! JUST KILL HER ALREADY!" Jacelyn yells as loud as her lungs can carry. She is scowling at the council. They coldly look at her like they are used to hearing screaming toddlers. I know she is talking about me, bringing my mood way lower than my resting-bitch face. I am this close to snapping her neck right then and there. Marina and Maddie will gang up and kill me. My only hope now is that the next round causes her death, and I am surely going to help with that. I will make it slow and painful, worse than what Destiny and Heather went through.

"Ash failed at life by ending it," I mumble, so I am out of Jaymie's earshot, "such a weakling."

Jacelyn does hear it and snaps her head toward me. I hear a crack in her neck. Her face turns red, and her hands are clenching. A few veins are popping out of her forehead. She screams again, "How dare you call Ash a weakling after what she has been through by us, Lola?!" Now, the council has heard that one. Jaymie is about to turn my head into a chicken nugget. "You victim-blame her for her demise! You have one hell of a mindset, Lola! I'm not surprised that you are the one who dragged us here!"

I chuckle maliciously. Since I know she is going to die soon, I might as well deliver the messages from my heart, my dear regards. "Jacelyn Weslan, you did it again. You manipulated your friends into thinking that I am evil, where I have done no such thing other than being kind, vigilant, and looking after you. You manipulated everyone into believing that Ash was a creep and a stalker at school. Why am I not surprised that you tried to use it on me? You always wanted to be a leader; however, you are still sucking someone's ass. No wonder why your boyfriend, Aaron, left you."

"This trial is made for you," Jacelyn seethes. "If you are friends with a manipulative liar, you might be one too– caught in your lies, believing they are true. In your mind, your innocent image shines so bright that you are deluded that you are a victim. If you hated me doing it, why are you using this tactic at these games? We know who you truly are. You saw Heather and Destiny die, but we have witnesses to testify against your lies."

Maddie puts a hand on her shoulder. "Ignore her, Jace; she won't falter and has selective hearing."

Jacelyn turns her back against me, glaring at me as she whips her back around to her player friends, who used to be my friends, but they are going far into believing Jacelyn. That deceitful dog!

Ramen claps loudly, saving me from the torment of my friends. "That's enough running around or hiding," he declares in a monotonic way. "I think it's time to meet you on the friends you know."

His constant waving summons us into another closed-off and small cave room. A moonlight lamp lights this cave chamber with a semi-fluorescent glow. I do a small cheer that I am not tied to a chair. I see my friends in the room. Maddie is looking away from me, Laura is leaning against the wall, and Jacelyn is trying to smite me with a lightning bolt with that stare. I awkwardly wave hi. We were together briefly before teleportation, so this is nothing new.

"It could be Jaymie, or Ash, or both from what Ramen said," Jacelyn mumbles.

"Does Jaymie ever get sick of us?" Maddie whines sarcastically.

"Yeah, she amputated Destiny's lungs and your hand," I chime in agreement.

"Lola, she was also in the last round too," Laura adds.

"I thought it was just cannibalistic monsters stalking around," I reply.

"They were, but those were other people in the trials. Jaymie changed them while she hunted for us herself."