Chapter Seven

VII: Circus of Pain

Jacelyn

The skinned man starts to shake uncontrollably like he is inside a freezer. He continues to whimper. I can see the tears gathering on his face. I glance at the cliff, at the leaders of this madhouse. Only Jaymie and the dude are there. Where's the woman?

Numerous quiet gasps help answer my question while I look back at the skinned person. Drea is right next to the old man's body. That woman teleported. "P-Please help me-" Slam! She stomps on his face with so much force that brain matter, eyeballs, skull, and blood splatter everywhere, severing his misery. There are survivors that take a large step back to avoid the splash zone. I hear them gagging. It's hard to pretend it's spilt ice cream when there's a corpse near you.

"That was getting annoying," Drea says remorselessly while brushing the brain matter off her sleeves. Funny, I thought she would lick them up like ghouls from Tokyo Ghoul. I guess maniacs have standards. Her begrudging face loosens up into a crackhead smile as she delightedly announces, "Ah, I see, the first round was too... sad. We all need some cheering up at a lovely fair full of festivities."

"Commercials are made with less horseshit than you," I mumble. Laura winces at me, apprehensive that I will get in trouble. Marina even heard me. She just smirks.

Drea moves back and forth, her head turning with a celebrity smile, oblivious to my comment. Her eyes gaze towards her vampiric-looking daddy, and she nods. Her smile becomes subtly twisted. Hehe, I was right. She is full of it.

The blonde man slides his hand to the left, and we emerge into grasslands with a brown sunset. An old rusty painted red gate shows the entrance with white and red striped circus tents with unlit carnival rides, such as the merry-go-round, the Ferris wheel, and a swing ship. There is festival music, but all distorted and skippy like scratched C.D.

"I hope we get the rides working to make it less miserable," a lady contestant utters

"I hope we get the rides working to make it less miserable," a lady contestant utters. She is in her early twenties. Her hair is messy bun with blood-stained clothes from the last round. She whispers to her lady friend while they open the carnival ride.

"Maybe we can use the rides to our advantage to win the round?" Her friend whispers back as they skip inside the circus. We stand out here, conflicted. If we enter, it will be our death. If we don't move inside, there could be a damn border that annihilates us all. We don't know how the games work because the leaders are just strangers to us, except Jaymie, but I don't know her either. She is only memorable as Ash's friend. Now she is known as Ash's pissed-off friend.

We all hesitantly enter through the gates like our first day at the new school. Lola, Maddie, and Heather are ahead of us by a few meters. Laura is beside me, and Destiny is on my other side. "Let's explore to find hiding spots when the monsters come out to play," Maddie whispers to Lola and Heather.

"How about you share it with the group?" I suggest.

Lola looks at me. "How about you catch up before death comes, you fool?"