40: Grim Reaper

Haeguk was sitting in front of the ICU. Jungkook's parents were also there along with Taehyun. Hoseok left the place after explaining this to Jungkook's parents, "There was a burglary at his home. The burglar attacked Jungkook while he gave the guards a holiday to have the mansion all by himself."

The police came by and spotted Taehyung getting inside the mansion before Hoseok and Haeguk. But he didn't come out. They are now in search of Taehyung but Hoseok didn't interfere with their suspicion because he knows that he won't be found. 

Neither is there any identification record of Taehyung in existence.

He's lost.

Gone.

"What will happen to Hyung?" Taehyun asked Mr. Jeon who was holding his sobbing wife close to him. "He will be fine." He assured, looking at the two young adults and his wife. "He will be fine." He assured again, but more likely to himself.

He was scared too.

The door to the ICU opened, exposing a doctor who had a distressed expression plastered across his face. "How is my son?" He questioned, Haeguk sniffing beside him badly. The doctor sighed, shaking his head. "His condition is critical. His liver was badly injured. He lost a lot of blood. We need to do an implant as quickly as possible. Probably within a few hours." The doctor said and Haeguk stumbled backward at his words but thankfully Taehyun caught her in his arms. Right at the very moment, Eunwoo and Hyunjin rushed to them across the hallway after they received the news of Jungkook. 

"Then proceed with the transplant!" Mr. Jeon yelled. Hyunjin walked to Haeguk to help Taehyun carry her while Eunwoo stood beside Mr. Jeon. "The thing is we need a donor who matches his blood type and anatomy of the liver. But there-" The doctor said calmly but Eunwoo stopped him.

"How can we do that? Can one of us donate a part of ours?" Eunwoo asked gently while Mr. Jeon was rubbing his temple. The doctor sighed. "The liver isn't the only problem, sir. Does the patient have a history with his heart?" Everyone frowned but Haeguk walked up to him, holding Hyunjin's arm.

"Don't beat around the bush and give us a fucking solution! Stop saying things in riddles!" She screamed and Hyunjin held her back to prevent her from shouting at the doctor who was used to the family of patients throwing tantrums. "He might also have to undergo a heart transplant. He was slightly wounded in the heart but because of the condition of his heart, it kept leaking blood. This might cause a heart failure."

"We need a donor," Mr. Jeon said, taking his phone out but stopping once the doctor spoke again. "The heart must be donated by someone who is brain-dead but is still on life support. The donor heart must be in normal condition without disease and must be matched as closely as possible to the patient's blood and tissue type to reduce the chance that his body will reject it." The doctor said and Haeguk cried more, walking up to him.

"Tell us what we can do, please. Help us. Save Jungkook," she said, crying miserably. Hyunjin walked over to Taehyun who was breaking down. Eunwoo walked over to Mrs. Jeon who had her face buried in her hands, sobbing silently. 

"We can provide you with a list of patients on life support in other hospitals. You will have to contact the patient's family and ask them if they are willing to help you. I will quickly ask the nurses to help you with the contacts and lists. Follow me!" He said and Haeguk rushed with him. Eunwoo told Mr. Jeon to look after his wife while he could go and help Haeguk.

-

Jimin watched the book of death in front of him. The book opened to a certain page. The date kept changing in front of him. He had hope. A slight hope when the date flickered to years later but the date kept changing back to tomorrow, washing away the slight ray of hope in him.

The chair shifted in front of him and he looked up to see the man sitting across from him. "My respects to the ruler of hell!" The man mumbled, bowing down. Jimin smiled slightly. "Grim Reaper. You have quite fancied yourself, judging by your hair." Jimin called out and the man fixed his hair.

"I have to adjust to this modern world as well. Meeting too many people these days, the death tolls have risen a lot. My appearance matters too." The man said but stopped when the waiter approached them. "Sir, your order?" The girl asked him. 

"A glass of water, please." He said and the girl turned to Jimin. "Do you need something else, sir?" Jimin smiled and looked at her. "A strawberry boba tea, please." She bowed before walking away. Jimin sipped from the cup of americano.

"Death has increased indeed," he said, gazing at the back of the waiter who walked back. "This generation is burdened with sadness and end their lives before it is time." He mumbled and kept the glass on the table.

"Why did you want to see me?" The man asked and Jimin slid the book to him. "This person. His death date keeps changing." He said, showing the man the book. He took a good look at it while the waiter brought in their order. 

Jimin thanked her and she was about to leave, so he stopped her. She turned back but Jimin passed the glass of boba tea to her. She looked at him in confusion while the man looked up at him too. "This is for you. Life is tough but don't give up. You have a bright future, little one." He said. 

The girl smiled but the man noticed her glossy eyes while accepting the boba tea. "Thank you, sir. Have a good day." She mumbled and Jimin shook his head with a warm smile. "Have a great life. Remember, you have a future. Don't ruin its possibility because of the cruel world." He said and she nodded, fisting her hand to show a fighting gesture. "Hwaiting!" Jimin chuckled and repeated her action.

The man watched as she slowly walked away and then turned to look at Jimin saying, "Your angelic roots are showing."

Jimin casually shrugged but pointed his chin to the book. "Flip five pages before that one." He said and the man followed his instructions. He flipped them and noticed the picture of the same waiter who just served them. Her death date was flickering as well. It changed from today to years later.

"She was trying to commit suicide today," Jimin said, emptying his cup of americano. The man sighed. "You cannot always change the course of death." He said and Jimin took a deep breath. "What is the possibility that Jungkook survives?"

The man shook his head, closing the book and sliding it back to Jimin. "None. He won't make it. I am sure of it. Destiny is not in his favor, the way his date keeps changing back to tomorrow so quickly is the proof." He said. Jimin nodded agreeing, "I knew it. Destiny keeps playing with them by misguiding them that they will stay together. That is why I need your help."

The man frowned and looked up at Jimin who had desperation in his eyes as he said,

"And only you can help, Grim Reaper." 

********************************

The story is coming to an end :((

:((