27: Lord

1362 AD

Jungkook was sitting beside the lake under the moonlight. He was holding the scroll with the painting of him and Haeguk and their handprints under them, signifying the vow they made in front of the Holy Namu.

His chest was heavy, skin pale, lips chapped, eyes blank as he stared at the painting. He was like a corpse. Traces of blood were still stained on the hanbok that he wore during the fight. He escaped from everyone's eyes immediately. He knew his father and everyone in his kingdom would force him to take the throne.

But he didn't have the mindset to rule. He was weak right now after avenging Haeguk. He just wished to sleep in her arms and never wake up. Life without her didn't have a meaning. It was pointless to stay alive.

"Jungkook," a deep voice called out, but Jungkook was lost in his own thoughts. Gradually, a figure sat beside him, holding a low burning candle to create slight luminance at the edge of the lake, catching Jungkook's attention. But he didn't faze, he just rolled his pupils to the corner of his eyes to look at the man who took a seat beside him.

Jungkook felt disturbed by his appearance. The man had brown locks falling on his forehead, slightly touching his eyes, and a flower crown with leaves and golden spikes coming out of it like long thorns. He was clad in an off-white cloth that was draped around his right shoulder, exposing his robust left chest which had a branched band wrapped around it from the shoulder. A green ring on his ring finger.

"Jungkook." The man called out and he turned around to face the unknown man. He smiled slightly, the prominent dips appearing on his cheeks when he did that as he made eye contact with Jungkook. His eyes were captivating and sharp but had a calmness to them.

"I am Namjoon. Pleased to meet you, child," the man introduced but Jungkook faced back to the lake, rolling the painting back like a scroll. "You look like a dead man, Jungkook. I know everything about Haeguk but you need to see something," Namjoon said, and Jungkook scoffed, shaking his head, a bitter smile forming on his face as he hung his head low.

"Haeguk," Jungkook said and smiled to himself, eyes burning red in the smoke that rose from the candle. He tilted his head and stared at the lake, "Every time her name leaves my lips now, it runs still like words left unsaid." He said and took a deep breath, closing his eyes. "The fire in my veins dreaming of her deep love, reminds me I'm alive."

Namjoon placed his hand on Jungkook's shoulder but he dodged it away. "Who are you? Did someone from my family send you here? I made sure nobody knows that I am here," Jungkook stated, without looking at Namjoon who sighed. He moved forward but Jungkook grabbed him before he could fall into the lake.

"If you wish to die just do it somewhere else! Not in front of me!" Jungkook barked, burning holes into Namjoon. He smiled in return but turned back to touch the surface of the lake as the water seemed to glow suddenly. 

Jungkook looked at the sight in astonishment as the blue light covered the surface of the water in the lake, he stood up slowly, followed by Namjoon who was smiling at Jungkook who looked at the magical occurrence in disbelief. "What is this?" Jungkook croaked hesitantly and turned to peek at Namjoon who jutted his chin towards the lake, signaling him to look back. "Haeguk had a last message for you." Jungkook frowned at his words but spun his body around and gaped at the lake when he heard her voice.

"When my heartbeat stops, will you stay mine?" His eyes widened at her voice.

"Will you promise me you'll search for us?" Tears filled his eyes as his lips trembled.

"Will you find me in the afterlife?" Jungkook cried at her questions, collapsing to the ground, burying his face in his hands. "For better or for worse, will death be our last kiss, my love?" This time, Jungkook asked and looked up from his hands to stare at the lake as he added, "Cause you're the reason I believe in fate, you're my paradise. And I'll do anything to be your love or be your sacrifice. I promise you that I will search for us. I will find you in the afterlife."

Jungkook smiled and turned back to Namjoon. "Who are you? Angel? God?" He asked and Namjoon smiled. "Lord of the Heaven?" He questioned and Jungkook sobbed, kneeling in front of him, hanging his head low to the ground.

"I know it is a sin to end your own life so can I make a wish to be killed now, this instant?" Jungkook whispered and Namjoon's eyes softened in pity at his words. "Your love was supposed to be destined, Jungkook. I am sorry both of you couldn't be together," Namjoon affirmed. Jungkook whimpered like a small kid, shaking his head.

"I don't blame you. I failed to protect my wife. So I ask you to punish me. Please, end my life. Right here. Right now!" Jungkook stated but fell sideways into the lake. He couldn't even open his eyes to notice what was going on as everything around him, including himself was drenched.

He was drowning. 

But he didn't protest or try to save himself. He closed his eyes as he recalled Haeguk's small song.

"Meet me at the bottom of the ocean. Where the time is frozen. Where all the universe is open." Jungkook recalled and sank deeper, letting his body move downwards in the water, his body feeling lighter and his lungs filling up with water. "Love isn't random, we are chosen. And we could wear the same crown. Keep slowing your heart down." He smiled and it felt as if a pair of arms, hugged him underwater, enveloping him in a strange warmth.

The familiar warmth he wished to be surrounded with. Haeguk's body warmth.

Namjoon looked in the direction of the lake in horror before turning to gaze at the man in front of him in shock. "Why would you do that, Jin?" Namjoon asked and Jin just shrugged his shoulders. "He was taking too much time. I mean, people from this time are too slow." 

"You have a knack for pushing people into waters it seems," Namjoon complained and Jin picked up the scroll of the painting from the ground and unrolled it to admire the painting. He smiled looking at Jungkook and Haeguk, drawn on the paper and rolled it back before staring at Namjoon and muttering,

"I will keep this painting with me and return it back to Jungkook in his next life someday."

************************************

This part, Namjoon, and Jin aren't from the current time, mind it! They are from 1392 AD

This part, Namjoon, and Jin aren't from the current time, mind it! They are from 1392 AD. And now you know who pushed Haeguk into the fountain back in 2023? I even kept a picture of Jin to give you all a clue but still, you didn't figure it out (I mean, I wanted to create the suspense so I don't blame any of you)

Anyway, that is it with the costume drama from historical times. Now we are going back to the current time. See you in 2023.