Gut Feeling

** Alexa play Howling by Noah Kahan **

There wasn't much thought that went into Elijah's next move, shifting into his wolf form to chase the black dog that was running through the castle grounds and to the Whomping Willow, skidding in through the roots.

The wolf found himself being pinned to a wall by the crazy haired felon. Before shifting back and landing a hard left hook to his godfathers face.

"Are you fucking insane?" Elijah growled, flipping them around so Sirius was the one now pinned against the wall, the boys forearm pushing against the man's chest to keep him in place.

"And what exactly are you going to do, Elijah, kill me?" Sirius laughed.

"Wasn't planning on it." The boy huffed, letting go of his godfather, and stepping back, calming himself down as he drew in a deep breath.

"Hell of a left hook you have there." The older man said, pulling himself together now that he was freed from the boys grasp. Taking a minute to look at his godson. "Am I supposed to ignore the fact that you just shifted into a wolf? Did James teach you how to become an animagi?"

"Sorry about that, reflex is all." he shrugged, clenching his jaw as he took in the other appearance; he looked like the photos, but less manic and more... unkept. "No. He doesn't know, only Remus knows. Why were you in the castle? Are you trying to kill Harry?"

"What do you mean James doesn't know? How did you figure out how to-"

"Sirius! What is going on? Because I am close to taking you to Remus and letting him handle you." Elijah exclaimed, not wanting to drift into a conversation about his father right now, when more pressing matters took precedent.

"Remus can't know. Not yet. And no I wasn't going to kill Harry." Sirius sighed, running a hand through his hair as he tried to think of an explanation for the boy.

"Then what? Because what you did tonight was reckless and moronic. Breaking into the castle? Are you stupid?"

"That's rich coming from a boy who just chased an otherwise known serial killer into an abandoned house." The man countered, glaring at the boy. "I have my reasons, Elijah, but I can't tell you. It would put you at risk."

Elijah rolled his eyes, it was hard to argue because he was absolutely right, he did take a huge risk following Black into this place. "I don't think you're a murderer.. I don't know or understand what happened, but I don't think it was you. So just tell me, please." he pleaded, wanting to make sense of everything that was going on. "What is life without a little risk? Let me help you."

Sirius froze, "You think I'm innocent?" he asked, eyes drifting over his best friends son as if he was trying to read his mind and body language. "Your parents would never approve of you helping me, not after all that happened. I don't blame them, I know how it looks, but I won't put your relationship with them on the line, and I won't risk your life to help me."

"I do think you're innocent, yes." he said, stepping closer to his godfather. "My parents don't approve of half the shit I do.. What is one more? And there is no relationship there either. So, can we stop bringing them into this as if they a contributing factor. Everyone in that castle thinks you are trying to kill Harry Potter, and you've not helped your case. You want to be a free man, then you need to trust me. I can help you."

Sirius frowned as the boy spoke of his relationship with his parents, seeing the hurt flicker in his eyes. "I'll tell you, if you tell me. Does that sound fair?" he asked, walking through the corridor of the Shrieking Shack and stopping on the stairs to take a seat patting the spot next to him for his godson.