chapter twenty-nine

Start from the beginning

"Are you going to shut up so I can find them? Or are you going to give me a speech?" Letting go, and accepting that her best friend had heard her, she nodded. I can hear them, but it's almost like they're miles away but... here?"

"Illusion spell?" Mina asked herself. "Phasmotos Oculas."

Elyza held out her hand. "Together."

"Phasmotos Oculas." The two friends chanted together. The building shook and separated into its true form, and Elyza stepped in front of Mina protectively. As the sounds around her started to become clearer, she stepped forward.

"Bonnie," Elyza confirmed. Grabbing Mina's wrist, she sped them across the cemetery. Mina couldn't see anything with how fast they were going. Two seconds in, she refused to keep her eyes open, feeling like if she kept seeing anything else she would throw up. "You can open your eyes now."

Trying to act like she wasn't about to puke, Mina slid in front of Elyza. Mina held her hands up in a surrender motion instinctively, placing a quick protection spell around both her and Elyza. However, it proved useless, because only moments later, a wind unlike over tossed the two friends into the nearest wall.

She could sense that her cousin wasn't far from her. There was Bennett's magic throbbing in the air, practically screaming out to her. However, her senses proved unnecessary when she heard her cousin's voice not 50 feet from her.

"You are responsible for the death of a child," Bonnie growled. "She was scared, wanting the help of her own people, and you killed her. For what, for power?"

Elyza and Mina looked at each other before turning the corner. They watched as Sophie lay on the ground in front of Bonnie, her hands up as if they would protect her from whatever Bonnie was about to do to her.

Bonnie's eyes darkened as she allowed her magic to attack the witch in front of her. Sophie withered under her spell and Elyza held Mina back as she was obviously about to step in and stop this. "Bonnie, please! I had to protect my people!"

"She was your people!" Bonnie yelled back. She heard a series of pops before the entire cemetery was flooded with defining screams. As her magic pleaded with her to let herself release it all, she couldn't stop her memories from flooding her brain.

Every single person in her life up to this point has sacrificed her for the "greater good". Why couldn't the greater good sacrifice itself for her? She killed herself and her friends didn't even have enough decency to check on her before trying to use her to get to Esther.

Was she really that unworthy of love? Of protection?

Of peace?

Her magic was practically flowing from her wrist as she put herself in Davina's place.

"DAMNIT, BONNIE DUCK!"

She was thrown back into reality. The younger Bennett witch could feel magic thrust against her and shield her body from an oncoming attack. However, instead of backing up, she stepped forward and out of what was clearly her cousin's protective spell.

"I am so sick of innocent people dying to protect people when you should be protecting them."

The older Bennett touched Bonnie's shoulder lovingly. "I know you're angry and feeling alot, but we do not have time to talk about our feelings right now. We're surrounded, babe."

Bonnie turned around, watching as witches, ranging in age, surrounded the three intruders. She glanced back at Sophie, watching the smirk that was evident on their face. Raising an eyebrow, she confirmed it with herself. She wanted to rip that smug look off her face.