Chapter 10

Seraphina

"How did you turn into this, Clara?" I complained for what felt like the umpteenth time as I wiped a stain of golden morn off the floor.
She remained seated on the couch, curled up in it.

"I know you loved Tyler a lot, but this isn't right. You're becoming miserable because of him, and I'm here working and cleaning..." I continued.

Suddenly, she abruptly stood up, causing me to fall back in fear with a startled scream. I looked up at her in shock, taken aback by her sudden action.

"What's wrong?" I whispered, searching her face for answers.

"I've made up my mind, Sera," she replied, her face now swollen. I leaned in, curious.

"To do what?" I asked.

"I'm going to beat him up," she declared, looking down at me. "I'm going to beat Tyler up."

I scoffed and dropped the cloth I was using to clean the floor, taken aback by her unexpected words.

Thad

I parked my car in the restaurant's parking lot and made my way toward the entrance.

"Hi," I greeted, and the lady behind the counter looked up at me.

Her expression turned to one of admiration as she stared at my face. I cleared my throat, and she quickly snapped out of it.

"How may I help you, sir?" she asked in a professional tone.

"I'm here to see Seraphina," I stated.

"Sera? You mean Chef Sera?" she inquired.

I nodded in confirmation.

"Give me a minute, sir," the lady behind the counter said before turning to whisper to a guy nearby who promptly left his post.

"She should be here anytime now. Why don't you take a seat and wait for her, sir?" she suggested.

"Okay, thank you," I replied, following her suggestion and taking a seat at a table.

After a few minutes, I saw Seraphina come out and approach the girl who had pointed at me. As she glanced in my direction, I could see the shock on

her face.

She started walking toward me, and I couldn't help but notice that

she wasn't in her chef attire. She looked stunning in her outfit, and I found it difficult to take my eyes off her.

"What are you doing here?" Seraphina asked as she took a seat in front of me.

"Is that the first thing you'd say to someone who saved your life a few nights ago?" I replied with a hint of amusement.

She sighed. "Thank you for saving me that night," she said. "So why do you want to see me, Mr. Whitlock?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Why do you keep calling me that?"

"What?" she asked, clearly puzzled.

"Mr. Whitlock. Why do you keep using my surname when you know my name?" I questioned.

"I don't think we're that close for me to call you by your name"

"Oh, really? Then why did you lie to me?" I asked, leaning in closer and resting my arms on the table. My proximity seemed to catch her off guard.

"What..." she stammered.

"You lied to me about your name. Why did you do that?" I inquired, my voice low and hoarse.

"Stop," she said, leaning back in her chair to distance herself from me.

"What?"

"Whatever you're trying to do with your voice, just stop it," she insisted before abruptly standing up. "I'm leaving," she declared and began walking out of the restaurant.

I swiftly stood up and followed her outside, determined to catch up.

"Why? Am I making you feel things you haven't felt in a long time?" I yelled as I trailed behind her.

She continued walking without responding.

"That's how you're making me feel," I continued, my words pouring out.

"Especially during the day and now. I see you everywhere, can't get you out of my mind, and I dream about you all the time. My memory is a mess, and, you

know what? I think I might actually like you, even though I don't know much about you. At the party the other day, somehow I just knew you couldn't

swim, and I was panicking, and-"

I abruptly stopped when she suddenly came to a halt.

She turned to look at me, her expression inquisitive. "How did you know that I was in the pool?" she asked.

I took a few steps closer to her and gazed down at her. "Is that what you're asking after everything I've been rambling about?" I responded.

"Just answer the question," she insisted.

I sighed. "Someone told me," I admitted.

She didn't respond and turned away, continuing to walk.

"Seraphina!" I yelled, causing her to stop abruptly.

"Why did you lie about your name? Your name is Seraphina, not Sarah," I said, lowering my voice.

She slowly turned and approached me, tears glistening in her eyes.

"Did you ask around for my name?" she inquired.

"Why would I do that? I remembered it. How? By regaining a memory of you

clinging to me in the pool," I replied, my frustration evident.

"What do you want from me?" she asked, her eyes shimmering.

"You," I answered honestly. "I want to know more about you and what happened years ago. My memory of you is distorted right now, and I need you to help me make things clear, Sera," I pleaded.

"It's too late. Nothing will change even if you remember me. Let's just leave it as it is," Seraphina said, turning to go. But I swiftly grabbed her hand.

"Nothing will change?" I questioned. "You're making me feel things, Sera. Crazy things I can't even fathom. How do you expect me to just leave it like

this?" I pleaded.

"What exactly am I making you feel?" she yelled.

"Love," I admitted. "I like you so much, even though I feel like you're both close and distant. I'm craving your touch, and sometimes I feel like kissing

the hell out of you," I muttered, briefly glancing at her lips.

She gazed at me for a moment, her expression a mixture of shock and sadness, before slowly shaking her head and pulling her hand away from my grasp.

"You shouldn't feel this way towards me. It's dangerous for you. You should stay away from me," she warned, tears streaming down her cheek.

"Sera, what's wrong?" I asked, taking a step closer to her in concern.

"Stay away from me. Don't come near me!" she suddenly yelled, taking a step back from me. "This is what I feared the most, and I prayed it wouldn't come

true.

I don't want you to become like this because of me," she whispered.

"What are you talking about?" I called out, but she had already turned and began walking away before I could finish.

I attempted to walk after her, but a sudden ringing in my head overwhelmed me, causing me to clutch my head and groan in pain.

"What you call love is an obsession, Thaddeus. You're obsessed with her!" a voice screamed in my head, making me fall to my knees while still holding my head.

I saw Sera stop and turn back toward me, her eyes widening in shock as she witnessed my state.

Without hesitation, she began running in my direction.

I fell to the ground, feeling utterly weak as the ringing in my ears persisted.

"Thad! Thad! Please, don't do this to me. I'm sorry for yelling, I'm sorry," she pleaded, her voice filled with anguish, as she crouched down, tears streaming

down her face.

She pulled me into her arms, embracing my head, and I could

see panic and fear in her eyes.

Suddenly, I experienced a deja vu at that moment, as if this same scenario had happened before. She was calling my name and crying, just like the way she

did in my dream.

I watched her gaze down at me, tears falling, as darkness

gradually enveloped me.