Chapter 8

It had been a few days since I last saw Sarah, and I couldn't help but feel like a fool for believing her words. Even though we hadn't crossed paths again,

thoughts of her lingered in my mind.

In my dreams, we were holding hands, and I longed for her presence, despite knowing so little about her.

My heart raced whenever I thought about her.

A sudden knock on my office door interrupted my reverie, and I called out,

"Come in," eager to see who had come to disturb my thoughts.

Mark entered my office, his usual demeanor in place, hiding his pad the way he always did.

"I wanted to remind you about the charity event tomorrow, sir. It's a dinner party, and you'll need an escort to go with you," he informed me, glancing

briefly at his pad.

I stood up from my seat, realizing I had forgotten about the event. "I totally forgot about that. There will be no need for an escort; I'll be going alone," I replied.

Mark, however, insisted, "But sir, it's important for you to go with someone, as the event will be filled with young and old couples. So you won't feel lonely, sir," he added, subtly hinting at the potential loneliness of attending the event solo.

"Do I look lonely?" I inquired, a hint of irritation in my voice.

"No, sir. Not in any way. I was just suggesting," Mark replied, shaking his head.

I let out a sigh.

"Okay. I'll take care of it. You can go," I said, signaling for him

to leave.

He bowed slightly before exiting the room.

Alone in my office, I strolled over to the side with a view of the bustling city below. I contemplated calling Callista, not because I believed she would

refuse, but because I didn't want her to accompany me.

I could already picture

her enthusiasm if I asked her to join me at the event.

I sighed and ran my hands through my hair, finally making up my mind to call her. I retrieved my phone from my pocket and was about to dial her number when an incoming call interrupted me. It was Callista.

"Hello," I answered, my voice calm.

"Thad, I'm so sorry for calling you right now. I know you're working," she apologized, her voice soft.

"It's okay," I reassured her, stuffing my free hand into my pocket.

"I'm sure you've received an invitation to the charity event tomorrow night. I was also invited, and I know you don't have a partner, so why don't we both

go together?" Callista suggested.

I paused for a moment before replying, "Yes, we can both go there together. I'll send my driver to pick you up."

"That will be great, Thad. See you tomorrow," she replied before ending the call.

I sighed as I looked ahead, her face occupying my thoughts once again, those captivating green eyes staring at me.

"This is so messed up," I muttered under my breath, then turned and walked back to my desk, already feeling a mix of emotions about the event.

Seraphina

"How do I look?" I asked, glancing down at my attire. I wore a stylish black off-shoulder gown that flowed gracefully to the floor, featuring a subtle slit, and completed the look with matching heels.