Chapter 2

Seraphina

"Cheers," I chimed in, clinking my glass against Lysander's. His blue eyes sparkled with a smile.

I took a sip of my beer and cast a glance at Luna, who was asleep beside me.

Even though this celebration was for her, it didn't feel quite like one.

"It's been a while since we've sat down like this to drink, Senior," I remarked, setting my cup on the dining table before looking up at him.

He nodded in agreement.

"You know, you didn't have to buy a cake for Luna. It's a waste of money," I commented, expressing my concern.

"Why are you worried about that? Luna isn't even complaining," he remarked, glancing at my contented dog.

I couldn't help but smile at Luna's peaceful demeanor.

"How's work treating you? Are you still planning on quitting?" he inquired, his curiosity evident. I nodded in response.

"I've thought about it, and I've made up my mind. I'm going to quit and travel the world until I get tired of it. I've made and saved up enough money for that," I explained, with a chuckle.

"This year. I plan to do it this year and take a break," I continued, and he nodded, understanding my decision.

"Just do it as long as it makes you happy," he encouraged.

"This should be your mantra now, Lys, always do what makes me happy. You say that all the time," I teased, taking another sip of my beer.

"Because I mean it," he replied with a sincere smile, making me smile in return.

"Are you busy this Saturday? I want to treat you to lunch," he asked, his proposal catching me off guard.

"Lunch? Out of the blue?" I questioned, genuinely surprised.

"Yeah. My business is booming very fast lately, Sera, and we should celebrate it... together," he explained, reclining in his chair.

I sighed and considered his offer. "Let's make it dinner, Senior. I have an event to attend, and I'll be busy by then."

Event? You're going out to work again?" he asked, a hint of concern in his voice, and I nodded in confirmation.

"It's a top-tier event, and they need the experts there. Though I'll be in the kitchen, behind the scenes as always," I explained, which elicited a laugh from

him. "But they need me, and I need the paycheck too."

He smiled in understanding. "Okay then. Dinner it is," he agreed, and we shared a laugh, the ease of our friendship evident.

Thad

I took a seat at the table, maintaining a calm demeanor as I watched the violinists expertly craft melodies with their nimble fingers.

The opulent hall

was brimming with high-status individuals, a mix of business magnates, accomplished women, and influential partners, all engaged in animated conversations and soaking in the exquisite atmosphere.

Sighing softly, I cast my eyes around the room, then retrieved my phone to check my emails. The lavish party had been in full swing for approximately two hours, a lavish affair that had treated us to a succession of delectable

dishes.

My attention drifted to the eighth course before me, marveling at the meticulous presentation that exuded professionalism.