Chapter Five: Peace and Harmony

Ladybug watches all the Parisians below her as she swings by; she can't help but wonder what they think of her hiding the true identity of Monarch from the public. She shifts her weight to hang straight onto her balcony and detransforms. She fumbles onto her bed and feeds Tikki a macaroon. "You did very well with avoiding the conversation, but don't you think you should've waited to give him the rings until he was out and about?" Tikki questions, concerned with her keeping her secret identity a secret. Marinette whips her head around to look at her Kwami friend, "Tikki, it's Adrien Agreste; I'm sure many people already know he's back in Paris by now." She responds sternly and confidently with her decision. "Also, if it were a major issue, wouldn't BunniX appear by now?" She mumbled under her breath, knowing what she would reply with, and she did. "You shouldn't rely on BunniX to always come back to fix your possible mistakes, Marinette. Have you looked at the time?" Tikki says, pointing towards her phone. Marinette shrieks at the time displayed on her portable computer, "I HAVE 15 MINUTES TO GET READY FOR ADRIENS'!" She screams and then immediately grabs her belongings within 5 minutes, but before she leaves, she is reminded she is, yet again, in her pajamas. She put on her usual blazer, floral shirt, and pink jeans, ensuring her bathing suit was ready to go in her bag. Before she opened her trap door to head downstairs to say goodbye to her parents, her phone began to ring. She fumbles with it before realizing it is Adrien; she sighs in relief before answering. "Hey!...Adrien!" She chirps through the phone. "Hi Marinette, I'm downstairs. I've been trying to get ahold of you!" He snickers back at her. She winces at the text messages he left her 10 minutes ago while trying to create a fabricated story. "Oh yeah! Sorry, I've been working on a new design! I haven't looked at my phone! I was about to leave. I'll be down in a minute!" She giggles, full of stress, as she hangs up, picks up her bag, and heads downstairs. Tikki follows and goes straight into her zipped bag, avoiding sight from anyone.

    Adrien was chatting with Marinette's parents as her father baked. "Oh, Marinette, so good for you to join us; we were worried you wouldn't leave your room! How's that new design?" Her mother, Sabine, exclaims, excited for her daughter's creativity. "Oh! It's coming along, but it's nowhere near finished yet." Marinette says, smiling through her white lie. Sabine and her father, Tom, smile back at her, "Well, have fun at the celebration at Adriens'!" Tom gushed, watching the two young lovers walk out of the bakery. Tom looks at Sabine after they leave, "I just can't wait for him to join us in the bakery." He says, leaning over the countertop in a daze.

After the not-so-awkward car ride with Adrien, they arrived at the Agreste Manor right on time, too. Adrien leads her inside, and Amelie and Felix greet her. Marinette blinked momentarily, considering Gabriel's wish, but how would she... "Hello, Marinette; a pleasure to see you again," Felix says, reaching out to shake her hand, cutting off Marinette's previous thoughts. Marinette extends her hand to continue the very American* gesture. "Hello Felix, how are you?" She replies nervously, knowing he knows her secret identity. "I'm great, thank you; this is my mother, Amelie, or Mrs. Graham de Vanily; we will stay here in Paris as long as Adrien needs us." A rush of relief washes over Marinette, knowing it wasn't Adrien's mother but her identical twin sister. "Pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Graham de Vanily," Marinette politely says to possibly Adrien's new caretaker. "Marinette, please call me Amelie; you don't have to be formal." She laughs genuinely, "From what I hear from Felix and Adrien, you're a magnificent girl with a passion for fashion." She smiles with approval towards her nephew's newfound love. "O-oh, thank you, Amelie." Marinette giggles as Adrien begins to drag her away towards the garden.
As Marinette makes her way to the backyard entrance, hand in hand with Adrien. They are both greeted by all of their friends, surrounded by Adrien's underground pool. As they were waving to all their friends, Felix walked up behind them and laid his hands on both of their shoulders before whispering, "You both may want to change," before they had time to react, Kim comes out of nowhere with a water balloon, which hits Adrien right on the thigh, soaking his jeans. Adrien laughs that he was so focused on introductions he forgot to change, "we'll be back," he chuckles but walks away, dragging Marinette again before she has the chance to get soaked. He shoves her into a bathroom down the hall, smiling, "You'll look great. I'll meet you out there!" He exclaims before shutting the door behind her, leaving her alone in a lovely marble bathroom. She looks down at her bag before Tikki sticks her head out, smiling. "He seems like he's handling this extremely well," Marinette whispers before looking in the mirror.

In Adrien's upstairs bathroom, he had already changed into his trunks; as he's reaching for the door handle, Plagg comes out of his bag. "You look so much better, Adrien!" He exclaims, floating through his bathroom door and waiting for Adrien to open it from the other side. "There's something about her that just makes me feel safe around her like I can genuinely trust her and tell her my innermost thoughts, unlike my father..." he sighs before looking down at his hands. "Hey, kid, she's waiting on you," Plagg says, changing the topic before Adrien could fall into the slumps. He makes his way downstairs, watching Marinette walking cautiously to the door, "Hey, Marinette," He whispers to grab her attention. She giggles and walks back out with her boyfriend, but this time in proper clothes.

Adrien is asleep on a towel next to Marinette while she converses with Alya. "It's nice of him to throw this huge party, even so soon after his father dies in battle," Alya commented, looking over at Nino on Ivan's shoulder playing chicken with Kim and Max in the pool. "Yeah, I think he needed his friends during this time," She assured, looking at the double-banded wedding rings she gave him earlier that same day. Alya leaves to join her boyfriend in the pool with the rest of their friends. Marinette leans down and kisses him, awakening Adrien.

*Yes, I am aware Felix is technically accustomed to British culture.