Chapter Thirty-One: Chrysalis

"Dark wings fall," Iris mutters to herself with her eyes closed, smirking. "You may think I have failed, Nooro, but I have just begun." She mused, turning around to hand Nooroo a tiny red flower. She walks over to her desk, "Now that Paris knows the truth, it will be so easy to manipulate them! And I barely did anything!" She cackles, taking her notebook out of her drawer. She begins writing by circling "Parisian Riots," "Anti-Superhero," and "Miraculouses" in bold green highlight. She begins to make a separate section, "Working with Parisians rather than creating fear of me, instead focusing the hatred towards Ladybug and Chat Noir and their allies." She looks at Nooroo through her mirror, "Isn't it amazing how easy it is to manipulate a society." She replies with a sly grin, which sends shivers down Nooroo's spine. She looks back at her page, "I will work with the Parisians to get rid of superheroes forever!" She vowed before bursting out in a cackle, raising her hands to her face.

    Marinette runs inside her door, finally arriving home after a long meeting. "Marinette? Where have you been? Have you seen the news? You were there?" Tom cried out of worry with widened eyes. Marinette stands still, "Y-yeah, I got caught up with Alya!" She lies almost paralyzed in fear; her blood is rushing down to her feet from the state of panic she was in. "Did you hear?" Sabine asked as her eyes were glued to the television. Marinette shakes her head as she walks over to the living room, overhearing, "Don't be bemused, it's just the news," The famous introduction by Nadja Chamack of the nightly news station everyone in Paris watches. "Watch," Tom whispers, putting his hand on her shoulder as they both watch from behind the sofa. "Today we had another akumazation attack, but this time it was from one of our beloved hers, Chat Noir." She begins sitting up straight at the desk she was sitting at. Marinette grimaces, gripping on the cushions of the couch. Her heart begins to pound in her chest while Nadja begins her section, "Chat Noir has informed the public on the deceit he had mentioned a week prior in his akumatized state." The scene changes to the helicopter scene from the battle from earlier, "She lied to all of you. Gabriel Agreste was Monarch," He hisses through the television screen. Sabine gasps, covering her mouth in complete shock.
The station cuts back to Nadja, "Ladybug and her allies have hid this information from the public for almost six months since the final attack. Were they ever going to inform us? We don't know; however, without this attack, Paris may have never uncovered the truth. The only question is, who is the person behind the mask of the new Monarch? This a question we have been asking for months since the first attack. Are they with Parisians in enlightening us or working for their own gain? I am Nadja Chamack, and goodnight, Paris." She signs off as the station immediately begins playing an ad. "Gabriel Agreste?" Tom asks, looking down at Marinette. Tears form in her eyes, "I-I need to call Adrien." She trembled before breaking into tears. Sabine stands from the couch as Tom embraces Marinette as she cries. Sabine hugs her from behind, letting her daughter cry into her father's arms. "It's okay, sweetie, he'll be okay." She whispers, attempting to comfort her. Marinette begins to sob, "N-no, he won't be okay. He's a-already distraught over losing his father; finding out his father was a monster is a whole different... issue." She wails, pushing through her parents' grasps, "I- I need to talk to him," She trembles, running upstairs, grabbing her phone from her back pocket in the process.
Tikki flies out of her bag as she throws the bag off of her, "I need to call him; he knows, he knows now." She sobs, scrolling through her contact list before landing on his name. "Do you think it's a good idea to call him now, Marinette?" Tikki inquires, watching her hit the dial button. "It's better now than in 4 months," She whispers with a shaky voice, putting her phone up to her ear. The ringtone kept going until it reached his voicemail. She winced, pulling at her pigtails before grabbing her purse and running downstairs, Tikki not far behind. Without saying a word, she dashes through the bakery until her father stops her at the door, "Where do you think you're going so late at night, Marinette?" He asks, looking down at her worried. Her cheeks are stained in tears, and pure panic is in her veins, "I need to see him, Dad." She whispers as the tears keep coming down her face. Tom sighs, "You'll see him tomorrow, honey; he's probably asleep if he isn't answering. You don't want to disturb and break the bad news, do you?" He pleads, pushing her away from the door. She nods, walking away back towards the stairs.
Marinette closes her trapdoor behind her before walking over to her desk and lays her head down, staring at her phone. She selects Felix's contact and begins to text him. "Marinette, you can't be getting ahold of him secondhandly from his cousin!" Tikki exclaims, floating over her head. "I'm not texting him about that; I need him to get everyone together again." She mumbles before sending the message.