50. gone gone gone

I'll shut down the city lights
I'll lie, cheat, I'll beg and bribe
To make you well,
to make you well

- gone gone gone (Phillip Phillips)

50. gone gone gone

"You want me to what?"

"Head this assignment with me. Work by my side until the contract is completed."

"And let me guess - Lee Suho put you to this?"

"Why else would you think I'd work with you?"

Soojin held back a retort. Like always, Mr. Choi had a straight face when he replied back. She wondered how Lee Suho must have convinced Mr. Choi to take her aboard considering she wasn't in the higher level yet.

But then, he's Lee Suho. He could literally do anything.

"You said that Lee Suho was your friend in High school?" Mr. Choi questioned her - without looking at her as he worked on his laptop - with a serious face again.

"Yes."

"And that Han Seojun isn't your friend."

Soojin gulped, but she wasn't going to change the answer. Even when the sharp words enveloped the room in a tensed aura - even then - she managed to keep her calm. The mention of Seojun would make her dizzy and nervous - especially after the lunch meet she had - and she didn't want to display her emotions in front of her boss.

"Yes. I wasn't friends with Han Seojun."

Technically, she was right. They were never friends, not in High school - not now - but they were more than friends. She shared a connection with that man, and no matter the circumstance, that connection would always be there. She could deny everything but couldn't deny how her heart betrayed her around Seojun.

Stupid heart and stupidly sad Seojun's face.

Mr. Choi glanced at the woman - eyeing her with intent - and acknowledged her answer. He knew that there was something more than what meets the eye. Why else would Han Seojun decide on HFA as his representation when Starlight already had a charitable association with their competitor? Why else would Lee Suho demand Kang Soojin to work closely on this agreement with him even when she wasn't qualified?

There was definitely something more and he could tell - bet some money too - on how Han Seojun's demeanor changed when Miss Kang walked in the room or how Miss Kang's eyes would fixate on the singer.

But, as long as it would benefit the company as a whole, he didn't care about the past. Their CEO had also agreed to this arrangement because Han Seojun was a great PR stunt for their trust. It was a win-win situation and ignoring it would be plain stupidity.

"Miss Kang - "

"You can address me as Soojin."

"Miss Kang - " Mr. Choi said, emphasizing on his initial choice of words, " - you know I have zero tolerance towards tardiness, lethargy and mixing personal with professional." His dark eyes met Soojin's soft gaze, and as intimidating as he was Soojin couldn't help but be all the more pissed. "Whatever past you have with the duo, it doesn't matter to me - as long as you don't let it interfere with our work. Arachi?"

Soojin nodded. She wanted to do more than just nod, but for now she could only agree to it. It wasn't like she wanted this to happen. She didn't ask for Seojun and Suho to return to her life and she didn't ask her - grumpy - team leader to assign her the contract.

All she did was simply exist. Everything happened so fast that it was unbelievable how Soojin had not only met Seojun and Suho but would not be an active part of their lives.