Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Yellow or Blue

She wiped the beads of sweat on her temple after arranging and decorating some stuff in the nursery. She was already halfway done. May crib na silang nabili, may kama rin silang nilipat sa nursery. Doon daw sila matutulog minsan para may kasama si beebie.

She even had the walls painted in pastel yellow with baby blue accents last weekend. Now she was just planning to add a closet, a mini shelf with children's book, and a playtime corner.

She roamed her eyes around the room. It looked calm and bright. Marty also decided to spare a wall so they could paint their baby's name there soon—once they know whether they were having a boy or a girl.

She closed the door behind her to check on the chicken she was broiling for lunch.

It had already been fifteen minutes, but it hasn't reached the internal temperature she was hoping for just yet. Kaya hinayaan niya munang mas maluto 'yong manok sa oven.

Marty decided to set the table for a while. Gusto niya na rin sanang hugasan 'yong mga ginamit niyang pangluto sa sink pero mapapagalitan na naman siya ni Harley kapag ginawa niya 'yon.

Their deal is if she's the one cooking, then he'll be the one to wash the dishes. If she does the laundry, then he'll fold, steam, and hang their clothes. If she cleans the house from top to bottom, then he'll clean the bathroom, garage, front yard, and he'll take out the trash.

It had been their system ever since they decided living together.

Pero minsan, hindi 'yon sinusunod ni Marty. Just like right now, she doesn't want him to wash the dishes anymore when he's currently working. She knows he's already exhausted dealing with work and all she wants is for him to relax by having a downtime during his lunch break.

Besides, wala rin naman siyang ibang gagawin. And somehow, she enjoys cleaning and arranging stuff lately. Nagugulat na lang din si Harley dahil naiiba bigla 'yong puwesto ng mga gamit nila sa sala, sa kusina, sa kuwarto, pati na rin sa harap ng bahay.

"Bee, nagpapahinga ka ba? Hindi ka ba napapagod dito sa bahay? Paano mo naikot 'yong shelf? Ang bigat no'n, ha?" he asked her last night.

"Edi inalis ko muna 'yong mga libro. Nilinisan ko rin kasi saka ko inusog 'yong shelf." A little smile crossed her lips. "Wala rin naman akong ibang ginagawa dito sa bahay. Natutuwa rin akong mag-ayos dito. Tingnan mo mas maaliwalas tingnan ngayon. Nakaka-exercise din kami ni beebie habang naglilinis ako. Next project ko 'yong garden natin after ng nursery."

"Next time sabihan mo ko para matulungan din kita mag-ikot saka magbuhat, ha? Baka mamaya ma-strain mo katawan mo."

"Okay lang naman kami ni beebie."

"Promise?"

She nodded, showing her right hand in the air. "Promise. Nakiki-duet pa nga kami sa Carpenters, e."

He chuckled, leaning closer to kiss her cheek. "Okay. Basta hindi kayo napapagod at stressed out dito."

"Hindi naman."

"Sige. Date tayo bukas? After ko sa work labas tayong tatlo ni beebie?"

"Hmm . . . what time ba tapos mo sa work?" she asked.

"Half-day lang ako bukas, dito lang din sa bahay."

Marty brushed his hair away from his face.

She smiled. Natutuwa talaga siya tuwing nakikita niya 'yong noo at kilay ni Harley.

"Cute. Haba na ng buhok mo, bee."

"Oo, natutusok na rin mata ko. Kaya labas tayo bukas, samahan mo rin akong magpagupit."