Chapter 15

Chapter 15

First Checkup

She was busy reading about the details of their appointment for their first prenatal checkup on his phone.

"Bee, sure ba talaga na 4 o'clock pa mamaya? Hindi ba parang late 'yon?" Marty asked while reading through the message thread of her husband and her mom's OB-GYN. Si Harley kasi ang hinayaan niyang makipag-usap para mag-set ng appointment dahil tinatamad siya.

"Oo. Si doktora naman mismo nagsabi. Alas-kwatro pa raw kasi siya doon sa ospital. Sabi naman ni Tita Una tuwing umaga daw nandoon si Doc sa isang ospital sa Alabang," sagot ni Harley habang tinutuyo ang buhok.

He just got out of the shower, and they were supposed to go out for their morning date but Marty woke up late after eating her breakfast earlier. Ginising talaga siya ni Harley alas-sais para kumain dahil kailangan na niyang mag-fasting ng walong oras para sa lab test niya.

Kaya lalabas na lang sila para pumasyal saglit bago pumunta sa ospital.

Dr. Janina advised her to get her blood drawn by 2 o'clock so the results would be ready in time for her checkup. Sakto rin naman 'yon dahil makakakain agad siya pagkatapos.

Marty's nose scrunched when she read through the contact name of their OB-GYN on his phone, Dr. Janina Montellano.

She knows her, of course. Ilang beses niya rin namang nasamahan mama niya para magpatingin dati. But somehow, there was something to her name that sounds and feels oddly familiar in a different sense aside from being her mother's doctor.

Marty decided to wear a pastel yellow dress with ribbons behind the strap sleeves for their date and first prenatal checkup. She kept moving around in front of the mirror just to see her dress flutter. Natutuwa kasi siya sa nipis at haba ng ribbon sa may likuran. The skirt of the dress was following her movements, too. She also took out her ivory cardigan with tiny flower embroideries just in case she gets cold later.

She yawned right after applying her a plum-colored tint on top of her pomegranate-scented lip balm. Marty shook her right hand, her wrist felt a bit strained and heavy. Natagalan kasi siya kanina sa paglalagay ng eyeliner dahil nahihirapan siyang pantayin.

"Bee," she called to her husband who was busy on his phone.

"Bakit?" tanong ni Harley nang hindi nag-aangat ng tingin.

"P'wede mo ba i-blow dry buhok ko, please?" she asked.

"Hmm?" He heaved his eyes this time.

"Nangalay kasi kamay ko tapos medyo inantok din ako bigla."

"Okay," he answered, casually dropping his phone down the bed and picking up his feet. "Paano ba gagawin?"

Marty smiled. For some reasons, she anticipated him to tell her to let her hair air dry or she could just sit in front of the fan especially when he's busy talking to his colleagues.

Nagreklamo siya kanina doon kasi dapat hindi sita iniistorbo lalo pa dahil naka-VL naman si Harley. But he said they needed his approval for some parts of the project before they could proceed.

"I-brush mo lang 'yong daliri mo sa buhok ko tapos padaanan mo lang ng blower hanggang sa matuyo," she instructed.

"Okay, 'yon lang ba gagawin?"

"P'wede rin bang pa-curl ng buhok ko pagkatapos?" Marty looked up with her eyes pleading and marbling. "Gusto ko kasi medyo wavy sa dulo."

Harley smiled.