Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Wedding Ring

She went out for a while to buy herself a new drink. Inutusan din siya ng tatay niyang umuwi pabalik sa Paris para ituloy ang project nila ni Harley. Pumirmi lang din si Chigo dahil sinabi niyang magsusumbong na talaga siya sa mommy niya pati na rin kay Maddie at Yuan.

On a positive note, the english breakfast latte she just bought tasted decent enough, but it wasn't filling her. Marty smacked her lips together to get a better taste of her drink. Baka kasi deretsong inom lang ang nagagawa niya kaya hindi niya gaano nalalasahan. But the hint of vanilla was falling short on her palate.

She wanted something sweet and . . . sour.

She wrinkled her nose. Ang weird ata no'n? she thought. Matamis na maasim?

And it was probably due to the lingering question in her mind and the subpar drink, but Marty wasn't paying that much attention she nearly bumped on a guy in a white coat on her way to the elevator.

Mabuti na lang nakaiwas siya. But she may have squeezed her drink within her immediate response, causing it to leak on her hand.

"Sorry po," sabi no'ng doktor na muntik niyang mabunggo.

Marty clicked her tongue. Kinapa niya rin ang bulsa ng hoodie niya para sa panyo o tissue pamunas.

"Here," the guy offered.

Napaangat si Marty ng tingin sa doktor. Her eyes also switched from the doctor to his white handkerchief then back to him again.

"Don't worry, malinis 'to hindi ko pa nagagamit. Nasa pocket lang ng coat ko," he said.

She was hesitant. Pero wala rin siyang pamunas kaya tinanggap niya na lang.

"Salamat."

"Sorry ulit. I wasn't paying attention."

"Ayos lang. Sorry din," sabi ni Marty.

Jaxon Levi Montellano M.D. says the name on his white coat. And it seems like he's a pediatrician based on the giraffe pen peeking from his pocket coupled by an acrylic nice to meet you pin with a smiling elephant on his lapel.

"Are you going up or down? I'll press the button for you kasi malapit na rin bumaba dito sa lobby."

"Up," sagot ni Marty habang pinupunasan ang kamay.

"Okay. Sorry ulit, Miss," sabi no'ng doktor bago umalis.

Marty contemplated whether she'll throw out the handkerchief or not. May dinosaurs kasi sa design, baka mamaya may nagregalo palang pasyente sa kanya n'ong panyo nang mahalata ni Marty na may nawawala sa kamay niya.

Her forehead creased while she was inspecting her left hand. It suddenly felt empty, too.

Bakit ngayon ko lang napansin? pagtataka niya habang hinahalughog at kinakapa ang bulsa ng sweatpants at hoodie niya.

It wasn't in her pocket, it wasn't dangling on her necklace with Yakobee either. Wala rin sa kabilang kamay niya.

Marty hurried back to her father's suite to search inside her bag.

"Ano bang nangyayari sa 'yo? Ano hinahanap mo bakit natataranta ka d'yan?" tanong ni Chigo.

"Nawawala wedding ring ko!"

Marty was frantic. Especially when she couldn't find it in the bathroom, on the table, inside her bag, and in the crevices of every furniture in the room.

"Hala, lagot ka sa asawa mo," pananakot ni Chigo.

Marty glared at her father. Natawa lang naman ang tatay niya lalo na nang mapasinghal siya sa inis.