Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Questions in the Morning

Her mind was keeping her awake. It was already an hour past midnight and she knew every fiber in her body was exhausted, but she couldn't help herself from replaying everything on her mind.

Marty pulled the blanket up to her chin when she laid on her side while hugging Ambee tighter in her arms. She buried her nose on their bee plushie, and traces of his scent were lingering on Ambee.

She smiled. "Kaya siguro iniwan ka sa akin 'no, Ambee?" Marty hugged plushie tighter.

One month was actually nothing compared to the years they've spent apart.

She was used to it. It was bearable, but there were times she wished their conversations happens realtime, where he wasn't trapped within the screen of her phone each time she wanted to hug him after a long day.

A faint smile crossed her lips when she remembered their first argument.

Well . . . it wasn't really an argument.

It was in December six years ago, he just got back after spending two years in Paris and she was busy with her internship and writing her thesis.

It was a free day for her so she decided to go to school to write her paper. Hindi niya rin namalayan na inabot na siya ng alas-siyete sa library kung hindi pa sila pinalabas ng guard dahil kailangan ng magsara.

Marty contemplated whether she'll go back to their condo or to work on her paper some place else, but it was pouring and she forgot to bring her umbrella.

She decided to go home instead. Marty kept on trying to book for a ride. Dala na rin siguro ng oras at ulan, pero wala ring tumatanggap sa booking niya. And the battery of her phone was running low.

7:21 p.m.

Marty
Bee saan ka?
Pwede bang pasundo dito sa school
Wala kasi akong payong di rin ako maka book
Baha na rin sa labas ng gate

She tried to call him eight times, but he wasn't picking up. One-percent na lang din ang battery niya.

She clicked her tongue. Buti na lang nakapagbaon siya ng hoodie dahil medyo malamig sa library. Hindi rin naman gaano kalayo ang condo nila ni Uly sa school. It's a fifteen-minute walk. But there were parts on her way that was already flooded. Tapos kailangan niya pang dumaan sa underpass.

Thankfully, some vendors thought of making little makeshift bridges made of plywood for people to walk on if they needed to cross for three-pesos.

Hanggang talampakan lang 'yong tubig. But she can't really risk it even though her sneakers were already soaked. Sakitin pa naman siya.

"O? What happened? Bakit basang-sisiw ka?" bungad sa kanya ni Isobel pagkauwi niya sa condo.

"Wala akong payong tapos ang lakas ng ulan," sabi ni Marty habang inaalis ang suot na hoodie.

"Hindi ka nag-pedicab or tricycle?"

"Wala kanina."

"Book ng car?" tanong ulit ni Isobel.

"Ayaw ako tanggapin tapos drained na rin phone ko."

"Ay, kaya pala. Gusto mo ba painitan kita ng water panligo mo or deretso ligo ka na? Sira pa rin heater natin, e."