Bade Achhe Lagte Hain

Meerab was away on a work trip and this was the first time she had been away from Meesam. A pro bono case required her to be in Karachi on an urgent basis and she couldn't send a junior lawyer in her place. She had almost decided not to go but Murtasim and Maa Begum had convinced her to go. She had been grateful for the change Meesam had brought in her mother - in - law, not only had she been extremely supportive of her career, gradually, she had also accepted some of her less radical viewpoints. 

Murtasim loved spending time with Meesam and she was definitely her baba's daughter. He was extremely protective of her and had formed a night time ritual with her. While Meerab was poring over legal documents and pulling in late nights, he read Meesam bedtime stories and played with her until she fell asleep. He would then go with a cup of chai to his begum and they would spend some time together on the terrace. Meerab was extremely grateful for that time, for it was the most peaceful part of her day. In the morning, all the family members would have breakfast together and Meerab tried to spend as much time as she could with her adorable daughter. She often joked about how she wanted to take the little munchkin to the court with her, at which her husband had said "Bachpan mein toh bacchi pe zhulm mat kro, itni boring jagah kyun leke jaana hai usse?"

At this, she would glare at him and attempt throwing whatever file she had in her hand at him and he would dodge it. To make up for it, he would kiss her on the cheeks before she left and say "I am proud of you Meerab, bahut important kaam kar rahi ho tum. Meesam bade hoke kitna achha mehsoos karegi ki uski Mama itni badi waaqil hain, himmatwali hain. I love you."

Meesam would often try to imitate her Baba at this point, saying I love you in a broken baby language and leaving sloppy kisses on her Mama's face. 

While Meerab had left saying that she needed to go for two days, it had turned into a full week and the baby had become cranky. The baby in question being her 25 years old husband Murtasim Khan. 

Even though he realized that she was doing everything possible to get back as soon as possible, he missed her a lot and needed both his girls to function. He would sit at the terrace, a cup of garma garam chai nestled in his hands on wintry evenings and think of her. She hadn't been able to take his calls at night for the past two nights. 

His phone rang, breaking his reverie and he realized that it was Meerab. 

"Meerab, hi, kaisi ho? Kitne din aur?"

"Hi Murtasim, bas thak gayi hun, bahut kaam baaki hai abhi. Meesam kaisi hai? Zyada tang toh nahi kar rahi?"

"Meesam thik hai, roz subah Mama Mama karti hai. Voh aur mai dono uski Mama ko bahut miss kar rahe hain."

"Murtasim!"

"Meerab!"

"Tum kaise ho?"

"Tadap rahan hun. Raat bhi hai, terrace bhi hai aur chai ka garam cup bhi hai, lekin tum nahi ho. Jaldi vaapis aajao please. I miss you Meerab."

"Mujhe bhi Meesam aur tumhari bahut zyada aati hai. Kal raat tak pahuch jaungi har haal mein, chai ka cup teyaar rakhna?"

"Mai wait karunga, bye. Khayaal rakhna."

"Tum bhi, goodnight!"

I have been watching a lot of Wahaj Ali interviews and I love how soft - spoken the man is. While this book initially started as a collection of Meerasim one shots, I have gradually started envisioning Wahaj Ali and not Murtasim Khan. Though I haven't seen any other shows of his, I have been watching a lot of his interviews and came across the raat, terrace, chai wala dialogue (which is from Mujhe Pyaar hua tha I guess) and I had to use it in a one shot. Also, his laugh is like that of a content guy, totally adore him. Some of you wanted Meerasim and Meesam together so I wrote this cute one shot.