Kabhi Kabhi Mere Dil Mein

He was plagued by her memories and couldn't tolerate her absence. Her things in their room taunted him, whenever someone was not careful enough to avoid her name, it pained his heart to know what he had been missing. 

He wanted her back. He would willingly sacrifice himself just to get a glimpse of her, hold her in his arms and make things right. Every person had seen him suffering and they were unable to help him. Bakhtu felt helpless seeing his Malik in this state. Meerab often dominated their discussions. 

"Apne saath hi le gayi hai voh meri neend. Usse neend aati hogi Bakhtu?"

The loyal man had even asked him what would he would do if he found Meerab.

"Hisaab kitaab? Hisaab kitaab toh sirf mohabbat mein hota hai. Ishq mein toh intezaar hota hai."

It had been nine torturous months since Meerab had left and all this time, he had been constantly told by Haya and Maa Begum that he should get over her as she had run away with someone else. He had faith in her, in the love that flowed between them, in the moments they shared. How could he dare to forget her. Apna wajood bhul jaye Par usse kabhi nahi bhula payega aur voh ishq hi kya jo ek pal mein bhula diya jaye?

The Khan and Ahmed households had witnessed their worst moments since her departure. Waqas Ahmed, unable to digest the news of his daughter's disappearance, had died of a heart attack. Aneela Ahmed was in the midst of making preparations to go to the USA, having no one close left in Karachi. With the realization that he had lost his daughter once again, Anwar Khan had slipped into a sort of depressive mood. 

Anwar and Murtasim, the men of the Khan house became each other's silent support systems, neither could they blame each other for the way events had transpired since Meerab's marriage nor could they find the courage to admit their wrongdoings out loud. But they still held hope. 

It happened in the 9th month after Meerab Murtasim Khan had left the house that Murtasim got the call from Bakhtu. It was a flurry of emotions, too much to handle when he heard that a person had called Bakhtu to inform that his wife was in a hospital in Karachi and required money for treatment. He did not believe it at first, too much in a daze, but he soon got out of it, going from happiness to panic as he realized she was in a hospital. 

Was it bad? She had to live for him. She couldn't leave him when he had just found her. He wouldn't let her.  

When he arrived at the hospital, he saw Farukh, the guy whose home he went to looking for Meerab and his anger knew no bounds. He would have beaten the guy to death right there and then had Fraukh's aunt not interrupted. 

"Khan, Meerab ka baccha hone waala hai. Hum yahi hain, tumhare sawalon ka jawaab dene ke liye, par abhi uske paas jao." Taking a moment to adjust himself and acquaint with the news he had just received, he took a step back. 

Nothing could have prepared him for that. He chose to send a prayer to Allah thanking him that he had found her and was hopeful that he would make everything alright. He was too confused to let himself feel any other emotion. 

Ordering Bakhtu to keep a watch over Farukh and his aunt, he rushed to find the doctor who had been operating on his wife. He started praying for the safety of Meerab and his unborn child. He knew that he had to inform his family and Aneela khala as well, but he wanted some moments alone with Meerab and their child before involving the entire family, before Meerab would be ambushed with questions. He would make up for his absence by granting her all the peace and love she needed during that time. While initially confused, he consulted with her doctors and decided that he could be at liberty to keep this happy news to himself just a little longer.

He was waiting impatiently, full of worry and hope when he was called into the OT by the nurse and informed that it was a girl. He saw Meerab and all his worries dissipated. She had their child in her arms. He was handed over the child by the nurse and he felt tingles all over his body, looking at his newborn daughter with immense happiness and joy. He gave a quick glance to his wife, his heart satisfied seeing her safe and having given him the best gift.

He was a father. All the emotions that he had felt over the course of these nine months, he let it go. He was crying tears of joy as he heard the cries of his daughter, promising to be the best Abba. He bent his head to kiss his daughter's forehead, thanking Allah for making him a muhafiz to the cutest little miracle. The nurse took the baby for some preliminary tests and Meerab was shifted into a room. 

He was still in awe of the little miracle he had held in his arms and committed that picture to memory. He felt complete in that moment, feeling like nothing could make him sad now that he had his wife back and they shared a daughter. He had been overwhelmed, emotionally exhausted and in love at the same time.

Meerab had woken up after an hour later and he felt that he would call the family after talking things over with her. 

"Meerab."

"Murtasim, hamari bacchi?" He felt giddy with joy at hearing her say that. 

"Nurse lekar gayi hai, kuch tests run karne the. Bahut pyaari hai, bilkul tumhari tarah."

"Aur koi aaya hua hai?" 

"Nahi, Bakhtu ke paas Farukh ka call aaya tha Meerab. 9 mahine se uske Khala ke saath thi?"

Meerab, freshly emotional from the birth started crying. 

" Unhe kuch mat karna Murtasim . Jab mere paas jaane ke liye koi aur jagah nahi thi, unhone panah thi mujhe. Apni beti ki tarah rakha."

He made a mental note to reward the family for keeping his pregnant wife safe all this time and personally thank Farukh and his Khala. 

"Kitni koshish kari tumhe dhundhne ki Meerab. Toot gaya tha mai tumhare bina", his voice broke with emotion. 

"Tumhare jaane ke baad mujhe ehsaas hua ki mera sab kuch, mera ghar, meri manzil, mera sukoon, sabkuch tum ho. Tum ho toh sab hai, tumse sab hai, tumhare bina kuch bhi nahi Meerab."

They had both started crying at this point, the guard they had put up for so long in front of the rest of the world now gone. 

This one shot will have a second part, involving the rest of the family and more reconciliation of Meerasim.  

Also, Farukh deserves a lot for all he did for Meerab!