Abhi Na Jao Chhod Kar

Meerab had a long and tiring day. Having been recently inducted into the process of decision making for the ladies of the village and being engaged in work of accounting was exhausting. The only solace she had was that the next day was a Sunday, she could wake up a little late without being chided for it by Maa Begum. 

She picked up her phone to see if there was any new message from Murtasim. He had gone to the village as the Panchayat was awarding a new land, previously under the control of Malik Zubair to him. She sighed "Kam se Kam ek message toh kar dete."

Murtasim and Meerab had slowly picked up the pieces of their life, trying to come together and building a new life based on trust and understanding. There was still the occasional nok - jhok but Meerab had gradually come to voice her liking for these moments. 

Sensing a small headache from the stress of the day and the lack of any message from Murtasim, she went to make chai in the kitchen. The thought of having tea together with him somehow comforted her and brought a smile on her face. However, she stopped mid step, frozen at the bottom of the staircase when she saw Murtasim strolling in with Haya. 

Murtasim gathered the stormy look on his biwi's face and realized he was in for a night of groveling. 

He was just given a look by her as she went to the kitchen and he had just one thing on his mind - to make his begum smile. 

"Meerab, tum galat samajh rahi ho", he said upon entering the kitchen to find his wife assembling the ingredients to make tea. 

"Maine toh kuch samjha hi nahi" was the casual reply with undertones of Go to hell Murtasim Khan and take Haya with you.

"Meerab, ek cup chai mere liye bhi bana do please, bahut thak gaya hun."

"Jao apni favourite Haya se banwalo."

Murtasim Khan knew he was in trouble and had to make amends. He switched on the radio.

The melodious voice of Asha Bhosle and Mohammad Rafi filled the kitchen. 

Abhi na jao chhod kar ke dil abi bhara nahi

Abhi na jao chhod kar ke dil abhi bhara nahi 

Stopping in the middle of putting the elaichi in the boiling water, she turned to give him a look. 

He just gave a cheeky smile and deftly closing the distance between them, placed one arm on the small of her back and the other on the nape of her neck, he pulled her toward him. 

He started rocking her around in gentle motions and twirling her, not letting her go. 

"Haya only went with me because we are making a school on the land and I am thinking of sending her there as a teacher. From here on, she will live in the gaon." 

Meerab let a reluctant and grateful smile grace her face. 

"You only said that you didn't want her in this house."

"Why are we still talking about her?"

Yeh shaam dhal toh le zara

Yeh dil sambhal toh le zara

Mein thodi der jee toh lun 

They let themselves get lost in the music and each other's company. 

Meerab gently rested her head on Murtasim's chest, his calm heart lulling her into the most peaceful mood. They both had their world in their arms and were perfectly content.