Chapter Fourteen

Link's pov

"Where are you from?" God these questions. She goes from being scared shitless of me to walking too close and blabbering nonstop. Is she bipolar or something?

"Texas," I grumble.

"Ohhh, that explains your accent." She's talking about my accent when she's fucking British. "What city?"

"Austin." I don't want to think about where I'm from. It's an infested pile of rubble now.

"I've been there once a long time ago."

"Good for you." Now please shut up.

She's quiet for a few minutes and I think she finally got it out of her system until she starts up again. "Did you play sports?"

I take a deep breath, trying to keep my temper at bay. Thinking about my old life hurts.

"Yes-"

"I knew it! What'd you play?" Does she want a medal?

"Why do you care?" I snap. Those sports don't even exist anymore.

"Because we're stuck together and we could at least get to know each other a little." That's unnecessary and stupid. Getting to know someone is how you get attached.

I ignore her question and keep my eyes straight ahead on the road with my rifle in hand. We still have about five more miles to walk before we get there and we've already been walking for hours. Hours she's filled with jabbering.

"So...are you gonna tell me what sports you played?" Maybe I should've cut her throat this morning.

"Pretty much all of them." Now my sports are survival and dancing with death.

"Really? Did you play football?"

"Yeah."

She thinks for a moment. "What about soccer? And basketball?"

"Yes."

"Track?"

"Mhm." What did she not understand about me saying I played most of them?

"Tennis."

"For fun sometimes-"

"Golf." Ew.

"Hell no."

"What ab-"

"No more questions," I snap. "I'm tired of it." I've been tired of it.

"Sorry." Blissfull silence follows. Until it's interrupted again. "You can ask me questions too."

I'd say I want to shoot myself but I already know I don't have the balls.

"Sure." She looks at me happily. "Do you know how to be quiet?" Her face falls and I almost feel bad. Maybe I actually do feel bad. It's an unfamiliar emotion.

I sigh and try again. "What's your favorite color?"

Her eyes perk back up again. "Blue. What's yours?"

"I thought I was asking the questions," I say. It accidentally came out harsher than I meant it to. I'm not exactly good at socializing. Usually I kill people and polite conversations don't come before it. "That was supposed to be a joke," I clarify when I see her hurt expression again. I'm used to Impa and our jokes were along the lines of 'fuck you' and 'you look even shittier than yesterday.' I don't know how to talk to Zelda. And she's sensitive. She reminds me a little too much of someone...

"Oh." She plays with her sleeve. "It wasn't very good."

"Thanks. It's green by the way."

She blushes and I frown. Why the hell is she blushing? Bipolar weirdo.